SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kwscook

HELP!!! Granite installation mess up!!!

kwscook
11 years ago

I had to work at the office when the fabricator came to template, although I had talked with him extensively about how we wanted things done. He was referred to us by the folks where we bought our granite, with great recommendations/reviews. Now I wish I was there to coach him.....

One side of our kitchen is about 1" longer than the other - the old laminate countertops weren't even, but rather were even with their respective walls (if that makes sense). Well, apparently this granite fabricator decided that the countertops on either side of the galley kitchen should be the same length, despite the length of the walls behind them. See these pics:

What do we do? Can they come out and cut down that one side after it has been installed? Or will be have to build out the wall 1" to accommodate that overhang? I don't really want to do that, as we've just recently installed all new baseboards and doing so would require us to change those out.

I'm totally lost. Having 1" extra counter space is fine and dandy, but not at the expense of looking good / normal!

Anyone have any thoughts on how to rectify this?

P.S. - These pics are horrible, I know, but I hope they can show what is going on. Also, don't mind the old cabinets and unfinished walls - thankfully that is going to change this week and will be done correctly!

Comments (20)