SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Should I shut up on tile posts?

breezygirl
12 years ago

There seem to be so many people posting about bs tile lately. (I think it goes in cycles.) Most have busy granites. For me, when I see a busy stone, I want something somewhere in the room to be calming to the eye. I don't necessarily mean neutral, just not more pattern and texture. Generally, that's the backsplash area. So I feel like I'm making the same comments over and over again to these friendly posters wanting input. "That tile is too busy to go with your lovely granite." "I would let the granite be the star in your kitchen."

My clean-lined, simpler aesthetic isn't everyone's. Some like a tumbled, natural stone with a lot of color and pattern variation to go with a granite with lots of movement and color. I don't. But that's just ME. I'm not trying to offend anyone.

Here's a food analogy. It's like having a fudgy brownie sundae with nuts and marshmallows (the counter) with chocolate, chocolate chip, espresso fudge ripple, carmel ribbon ice cream (the tumbled, patterned tile set in a couple of different sizes and patterns) with fudge sauce drizzled on the top. It's too much of too much. I like my brownie (nutless and marshmallowless) sundae with simple vanilla bean ice cream. I can enjoy each flavor on it's own that way.

Marcolo made a comment on one thread about posters being pushed towards neutral splashes, or something like that. Maybe I'm seen as guilty of that. I don't think every bs needs to be a white or off-white subway. I like color and texture just fine. Pulling a color from the granite and using that in the bs isn't busy to me. My thoughts with busy granite are to keep the color and pattern of the individual tile simple, which doesn't necessarily equal neutral in my book. For instance, I love Bee's beveled arabesque tile. It's a simple color that doesn't compete with her granite, but as a whole doesn't read as neutral.

So do I keep posting the same comments? Does it feel like I'm trying to force my preferences on folks? They did, after all, ask for opinions and/or votes. I could just not comment and move on. I don't want to offend anyone by responding that I don't like their tile samples.

Maybe I just can't see past what I like to find something the poster likes that wouldn't compete with the granite. Remodelfla has a knack for "seeing" tiles in people's kitchens. And her suggestions are all over the board on materials and styles. Could be that I just don't have enough vision and design knowledge. I just see quieter tiles with very busy counters.

Comments (29)

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

Keep posting, Breezy! I enjoy your posts, as I enjoy ALMOST every point of view! :)
    You're so right though, seems there are a lot of us in the "backsplash" phase! I'm in no hurry to put BS in, so I'm just waiting everyone out, so I can see what I like best! LOL
    Especially since there are about 3-4 with the same granite as me! (TB) :)

• harrimann
    12 years ago

If people are seeking opinions, then give your opinion. The people who ask for advice don't necessarily keep track of all the personalities on here, so it isn't like they already know what you're going to say (even if I do ;-)).

• Related Discussions

one last thing about butterfly gardens & then I'll shut up...

Q

Comments (21)
    Thanks for the info, Ill. I'll be looking for some cowpea seeds and that red thingie that I've already forgotten the name of. And I'll definitely have a donkey's ears for you. Your July was rainy, eh? I don't think we got one single drop the entire month of July. I could see it raining to the northwest (probably at YOUR house) but nothing hit here until the first week in August. And then very little. I think it only rained maybe 4 times in August! We had one fairly heavy shower about a week ago that lasted about an hour, and that's the most rain I've seen in my yard since last spring! Arrrgggghhh. Marcia
    ...See More

Does this set-up looks nice or not? Should I move the mirrors bit up?

Q

Comments (26)
    For me, everything I put in my house has to have some meaning for me, and I hope this has meaning for you, but for me it does not strike a chord. A beautiful painting, something that is art and not just some print that they offer in five different sizes, would give color and movement to this area, with something at each side of the console to hide the cord. A wider piece of furniture would have looked nicer there and hidden the cords, but I'm sure some solution could be devised to hide them.
    ...See More

why am I sitting inside reading posts when I should be outside

Q

Comments (5)
    We keep getting those rains too. Hard to plant anything. However, we were away for a week for a grandson wedding to come home to monster scapes on many plants. We should have lots of bloom in another week, including ones planted last fall. Breathing In Snowflakes is showing two scapes (smile). That was my big purchase last year. Mexican Fiesta, planted this spring, has two scapes. I hope I get to see a flower not damaged by rain.
    ...See More

Need Help- Where the railing should end up into the column or post

Q

Comments (7)
    I'd probably run the bottom "wall" all of the way from the step to the column (instead of ending 10" short of the column). Square it up, so the "wall" is parallel to the floor. So, from the side, you would only see the wall, not the opening between the bottom step and the column as it is currently constructed. Then, incorporate the column into the railing system.
    ...See More
  • phoggie
    12 years ago

No, breezygirl, do not quit posting! Your ideas are valuable....someone might be asking a question and not read your thoughts in other posts. If they don't like them, they don't have to use them. I, for one, completely agree with you. I don't like to see the counter and BS competing for attention....make one or the other a focal point....but do not quit posting~~

• regina_phalange
    12 years ago

No, don't shut up. And I'm not just saying that b/c I completely agree with what you are saying about BSs. Why shouldn't you share your opinion to those who are specifically asking? An opinion doesn't have the power to push people. People may feel more compelled to go with a person's suggestions if a lot of people are saying the same thing *OR* even just what one person says if what they are saying makes perfect sense. But isn't that why they asked for opinions in the first place? Carry on :).

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Breezy- I agree with the others. Keep posting. Your opinion is valuable and even if others don't agree, if they are seeking your opinion, give it. I tend to agree that the backsplash or the counter can be busy, not both. I think it is wise to warn people of this even if they end up going a different direction.

and, wow...that sundae sounds delicious...the one with just brownies and vanilla of course!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't mean quit posting in general! You can't get rid of me that easily. ;)

I just don't want to sound like a broken record regarding tile and irritate any daily posters who read those same comments from me over and over. You all just made a good point about those seeking input not necessarily paying attention to how many times the same advice is given by the same people.

LOL at your strategy, Sand!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

No, don't hold back. You're pretty thoughtful about why you feel something does or doesn't work with the other elements in someone's kitchen.

There is a groupthink that gets going sometimes pressuring posters into the most boring backsplashes imaginable. I practically had to swing a stick to keep the crowds off of trinity20, who ended up with a stunning BS (if I do say so myself) but was almost doubtmongered into a kitchen with all the personality of a dial tone. "You'll tire of the pattern, go neutral." Why on earth would someone think it's impossible to tire of a neutral? In fact, almost all of the threads recently from people unhappy about their backsplashes are those who felt pressured--IRL, not just here--to pick neutral choices at every turn. Neutral is just as hard as colorful or patterned to get right, since lots of people screw up the undertones.

The key is what seems to work for a particular space. There is no one right answer. Although, I must confess, it eludes me why people spend significant amounts of money just to get more beige into their kitchens.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Marcolo- LOL!

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Shut Up? Are you #$%*@ kidding me here?! Never. Keep on posting. Opinions are just that, take it or not, but weigh in on the many different options. After all, the end result will be YOUR kitchen. I for one, value the advice here. OT, can you give your opinion on my over the sink lighting issue? But now I'm hungry with your food analogy.

sandesurf, I agree. There are a lot of BS posts because it is so painful.

• vitamins
    12 years ago

Breezy,

I am much in the same boat as you. So often someone asking for help with a BS has a lovely, but somewhat busy, counter and is considering a BS that I think is going to compete with it for attention. I, too, have many times commented about letting the counter be the star. To me, if you want a busy BS, then the counter should be more subdued. That does not mean I think everything should be neutral! And, Marcolo, I did follow the thread for trinity's BS, and I certainly agree that what you suggested there really worked and brought everything together. But his counter was not at all busy and so the BS became the star. That is not the case with most of the posters wanting help with the BS.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I like it when you comment that way about BS's because it means I don't have to.
    I too like a clean line, somewhere for the eye to rest, aesthetic and if I see that a poster wants something else, I make a quick comment and then I bow out of the conversation. Who am I to say that what he/she wants is wrong but I have been thinking about just not saying anything.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Oh my my my my my my -- breezy I've been meaning all day, trying to get online to respond to your post on my thread about a BS where you mentioned feeling badly about stating your opinion which was to be more, well, standard. (My extant options are both pretty neutral, for me it's just a question of whether more or less neutral in the face of a fairly happening stone).

Yet again on my way to your post I got sidetracked, this time to a larger version of same from you. So I have to ask you -- as you yourself would put it, with all love -- but I have to ask you: why are you so insecure about stating your opinions at this particular moment?

Because I know you know what I was going to say, which is basically what everyone else has said above. We're all big people here; we post to get an opinion. If we don't like what we hear and didn't actually want to hear what we don't like, then we shouldn't have been posting in the first place. And more specifically, I wanted to assure you that I personally, wasn't posting looking solely for reassurance with my choice. Maybe you need to hear that: I wasn't. I'll put it in that specific thread.

But now, I have to turn the tables on you: what's going on that you're suddenly so nervous about expressing your opinion? On the forum's score, it's what the forum is here for, so I can't imagine you're transgressing in that regard.

On your own front, however ... I have to ask: who's giving you a hard time about your choices??? Is the jerky fireplace contractor back? Your former GC? Something especially going wrong? Whassup?

Because assuming the best, I'm fairly certain you're not just wanting to hear a chorus of "please post breezy"! You've got it anyway, whether you wanted it or not. But the real question is, why are you thinking that suddenly your opinions are offtrack? Hmmm.... I remember you wondering whether your kitchen was going to be individual-enough ... is that it? Are you back to wondering whether your tendency to separate out flavors will result in too many distinct, bland flavors?

If so, then that's not what's going on here either, at least not from what you said. Because you're referencing people's issues with way-happening stone vs bland bs. You're arguing for, basically, averaging out movement overall, if you will. That's different from dulling it down; that's creating space for noisiness to be heard.

Anyway, enough of the random pop-psychologizing here. But I do want you to hear that everyone here ought to be able to handle your or anyone else's opinion, expressed, as this is the purpose of asking for it. At least, when it's asked for that is -- which it is in these instances for sure!

• caryscott
    12 years ago

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, what makes you anymore (or less for that matter) irritating than the rest of us? I don't share your aesthetic but that doesn't mean your taste isn't more closely aligned with an OP. At least your bias is clear and that can be the hardest part of deciphering on-line advice.

• erinct
    12 years ago

Definitely keep posting, even if you feel like a broken record! You state your opinions in the nicest way, with a clear caveat about your own personal taste (which seems similar to mine so I always appreciate your thoughts!). I think there are a lot of people out there like me who can find individual elements that they like but aren't good at knowing how/if they will work with everything else. I know I'm having this issue with my backsplash, and your advice to let one element be the star really resonated with me! So, thanks!

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

Now I need to eat brownies. Dang it.

:o)

• Redhead47
    12 years ago

It's funny, I looked back at my request for backsplash help, the one where several members recommended that I make it simpler than I was considering -- but yours was NOT one of them!

I think it's great that you give your opinions freely. That's what we post questions for -- or requests for help -- so we can get differing viewpoints, and maybe see something that didn't occur to us. I appreciate all viewpoints -- I really don't post a request for opinions just to have my own opinion ratified -- I want to make sure I didn't overlook something. And maybe I will come up with a better result because of all the input I have gotten from GW.

BTW, I'm still in a quandary about which tile backsplash to put with my busy Typhoon Bordeaux granite. All opinions welcome!

• Mellie0803
    12 years ago

Breezy,
    I appreciated your statements back at the beginning of my kitchen remodel (This was month's ago, and on someone else's post). It put me in the right frame of mind because before that, I did not know which direction to head with my granite and it was all a little overwhelming. So, 6 months down the road, when I (and everyone else working on their kitchens right now) am sitting back admiring my beautiful room, there will be some other novice just starting the process . . . and they will need the same advice. So keep on posting! And, Thank you!

• ca_mom
    12 years ago

Please keep posting! And do post about what YOU are considering. (Carrara marble with silgranit grey sinks here too...dreading and postponing BS decision.) I value your opinion!

• Kode
    12 years ago

I gotta go with the majority on this one. Your opinions are valuable and needed. People say I like this, I don't like that, but not everyone explains why. The explanation is what helps the most because it can get people thinking in new directions.

• enduring
    12 years ago

Hey Kido, we're all learning here. Each time I read one of your post I hear thoughtfulness. That's what it's about - to keep thinking. Maybe this kitchen thing is a metaphor of our lives.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

You should post your opinions, but it is plain evil to reference brownies with ice cream, sauce, nuts, etc... at this time of the month (and after 11pm at night when I am reading it!).

• dodge59
    12 years ago

I think as long as you don't get too "Groutchy", Keep posting away Breezeygirl.

Anomous

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

don't shut up ...but i demand pics. now.

xxo,
    kate

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

"No, don't shut up. And I'm not just saying that b/c I completely agree with what you are saying about BSs."

i agree with this (easier than typing it all again).

the eyeballs need a rest! maybe because mine are getting old - they need a 'bench' to rest on.

I do think one should decide when picking counter top out which way they are going... if the BS is what you've picked out first and it's the love of your life, your life source etc and it's the busy one then pick a more mellow counter top.
    My mind goes to plaids with flowers (shame on you for using brownies, chocolate, nuts, etc!). wearing a loud flowery top with a well defined colorful plaid skirt... even if they each have a color that matches... will send the eyeballs into a never ending spin!

you can add color or accent tiles into a BS with a busy counter top tho. just keep it simple. 3 different accent tiles etc would probably be too much.

ok, I'd better shut up. I do have to say tho that there have been very few ending combos that sent my eyeballs spinning. A few that were in the running did tho - lol!

OTOH - if in the end you like 'loud flowers with loud colorful plaid' - then do it! it's your kitchen and I won't be visiting it. I always think tho that when it's 'your' kitchen you sometimes are just too 'close' to it to see from the 'distance'. I've done that so many times and later think 'what in the world was I thinking? why didn't someone say something to me?' (not with a BS as I've never had one but with an outfit or a new piece of furniture that instantly declares war on the drapes.)

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aliris is correct that I didn't post this to get a cheerleading squad telling me to keep posting. I just wanted to hear that I'm not working on everyone's last nerve with my tile comments. Also, I am not familiar with online forum etiquette. I've been here more than 18 months, but this is the first forum in which I've ever really participated. I'm still learning the rules. For instance, I didn't know that bumping a thread is bad manners for other forums. I wondered if my incessant tile comments were breaking a rule somehow and no one told me.

phoggie, regina, briana, vitamins, blfenton--nice to hear I'm not the only "simple is usually better" opinion.

Marcolo--I only observed Trinity's thread because my first instinct would not have been to go in the direction you choose. I kept my mouth shut since he was getting so much help already. Your suggestion worked very well, but I never would have come up with that myself.

Celtin--I'll take a look since you asked.

Blfenton--You hit the nail on the head, as usual, with my thinking. "Who am I to say that what he/she wants is wrong." Sometimes posters seem so tied to a choice that I hesitate to say I don't like it.

Aliris--You're reading too much into this. Mr. Fireplace Jerk isn't back and nothing is going spectacularly wrong. Just the usual headaches of being a first time GC with a big project I'm struggling to keep my arms around.

Cary--I'm glad I'm not more annoying than anyone else. ;)

Erin--You're welcome.

Adrienne--Now I need to MAKE brownies!

Redhead--I think your post came along when I felt I was repeating myself too much. Ya know I woulda said it.

Mellie--You're welcome, although I honestly don't remember what I said.

Ca_mom--No idea what I'm considering for tile. I've daydreamed a few times when I felt like I could spare an hour to look at tile online. Need to get the drywall up first in the house before I can even think of tile.

Kode and Enduring--Thanks.

Dianalo--I guess it was bound to be the "time of the month" for someone around here. ;)

Gary--I try to only get grouchy with myself on my threads. Nice to see you over in Kitchens!

Kate--Pics? Pics of what? The broken toilet was moved out of the living room and most of the new plywood floor underlayment is down, but I've still got bare studs and no working plumbing. Wanna see the rat droppings from under the house? ;) Enjoy the tropical sun down there and relax. I'm sooo looking forward to YOUR pics.

Now that I know I'm not unknowingly breaking some rule or irritating you with my repitition, let's drop the subject.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Steph--We were posting at the same time. Love the eyeballs resting on a bench description! I'm going to use that.

Have we had a recent thread on theories and advice behind choosing tile and counters? Your post is a good one for someone just starting to pick major surfaces. That would be a good discussion.

• gillycat
    12 years ago

of course not.
    it is the varied opinions as well as the reasons why that help make this forum so enlightening
    you also say ... I just don't want to sound like a broken record regarding tile and irritate any daily posters who read those same comments from me over and over.
    My answer to that is that there are some like myself who read a lot just for the fun of it now and those who may be reading for the first time. For those they do not know what you have said before and are not going to read all the posts

My disclaimer is that I totally disagreed with everything you speak of when I chose my backsplash & counter
    in fact I chose the BS before the counter and although they are both "busy" the overall effect is not

yet i do hear what you say and love seeing examples

• jgs7691
    12 years ago

No way, breezygirl! In fact, I am broken-hearted that you didn't chime in on my backsplash question, although I guess that's what I get for not choosing a busy granite! :)

Seriously, though -- as others have said, I think the variation of opinions is what makes this Forum such a great resource, and I have never read a post of yours that was less than considerate or polite, whether stating an opinion contrary to the general consensus, or otherwise.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Backsplash Question

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Muspic--Good point about someone new not knowing that I say the same thing over and over. :)

Jgs--I saw your post but didn't have a specific suggestion. I'll take another look.