SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
makepar_gw

has anyone ordered cabinets from the 'amish loft?'

makepar
16 years ago

folks,

has anyone ordered their kitchen cabinets from the amish loft?

am seeking feedback, pro or con. thanks for your time and attention. robert a.

Comments (45)

• soshh
    16 years ago

I have the site bookmarked, so I too am curious.

• curiousnyc
    16 years ago

What great looking cabinets. I would like to know more as well. Just wanted to keep this thread up, in case someone out there has experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: amish loft cabinetry

• Related Discussions

ordered T4 / Xenon from Pegasus, anyone has these?

Q

Comments (0)
    I ordered T4 Under cabinet lights from Pegasus, and their Xenon pucks to test, the Xenon worries me, I will have to do testing to make sure it is not a fire hazard, but it's a great deal $40 for 3 pucks, if I don't like it I can use it in the garage. does anyone have these, any feedback? Thanks
    ...See More

Has anyone ordered from Grandinroad or Home Decorators catalogs?

Q

Comments (24)
    I was hoping to find a sofa quickly for my daughter, who moved into her first apartment couchless. Before ordering the Ava, I called Grandin Road to ask about availability and was told that the blue sofa was in stock and would be the quickest to ship. Once I placed the order, I was given a delivery window of December 6-13. Each time I checked the order status the estimated delivery date was postponed. I called customer service to ask about the order status and, each time, was told the sofa would ship out that day. However, the order status continued to show as "in process" with a new delayed delivery date. I then found a sofa locally that was in stock and available to deliver the same day, so I used the Grandin road chat feature to cancel the order. The chat agent said they would email the warehouse about the cancellation. The next day, the order status still showed as "in process" with a new delayed delivery date. I then called Grandin road to cancel the order again with the same results. After canceling by phone the second time, I received a text message saying my order had shipped. I emailed Grandin road to let them know I had canceled the order, and the next day they charged my credit card for the sofa I had canceled four times. When I asked for a refund, I was told they would request one, but it could take a few weeks. Thankfully my credit card company was willing to reverse the charge, as I don't have confidence that grandin road would have handled the refund any better than they handled the order or cancelation. I am also relieved not to own a product from them. I recommend something other than Grandin road.
    ...See More

has anyone ordered from any of these places?

Q

Comments (7)
    I have heard of Brand Lighting. Plus, they have an actual showroom. In my experience, online retailers with actual showrooms have more passion about the lighting products they sell than an online retailer that sells from a warehouse, only. And, to me, passion translates into customer service from owners down to showroom sales professionals. I've been to two lighting showrooms, one in Illinois and one in California. I haven't been to Miami, lately, or I'd stop in at Brand Lighting. You can usually find out if a site has a showroom by looking on the About Us page. Here is a link that might be useful: Image of Brand Lighting's showroom
    ...See More

Has anyone ordered from Woodworkers Hardware & Supply

Q

Comments (3)
    I ordered from them, initially, several months ago, and I needed some more odds and ends of knobs and pulls and ordered from them again, which just happened to come yesterday. --The latest order was made on 9/21, shipped on 9/23, and arrived 9/25...Of course, I'm only 2 states away from them, so yours probably won't arrive quite so quickly. They do have amazingly good prices. I wish they had all the brands and styles of knobs and pulls I needed.
    ...See More
  • loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

Can't speak to the Amish Loft but we used Ayr Cabinetry in Indiana and I cannot speak highly enough about them. They were patient, detailed and the cabinet quality is beyond superb.

• soshh
    16 years ago

loves2cook4six, do you have pics and any info re: pricing? a Website? I am curious.
    Thanks.

(And keeping this thread up too!)

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

They don't have a website but the pricing was amazing. I have EVERYTHING I wanted for the same price as a mid range HD depot without extras. Our GC channged his install crew after he saw our cabinets He said he's never seen such well made cabinets and wanted his most experienced installers ONLY working with them.

You can see pics on THIS THREAD. They're not installed yet as we had a little setback on Friday with the electrical work but should go in next week. I'll be posting pictures as soon as they are in.

• curiousnyc
    16 years ago

Sent a rough sketch off to Amish Loft today via email, hoping for a quote. So far, HD and Scherr's have been close to the same price, and expect the Amish to be a bit more pricey, but might just forego some of the extras to get those beautiful cabinets.

• soshh
    16 years ago

CuriousNYC, Please keep us updated!

• makepar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

to all,
    i hope to get to staples today, make some copies of my architects' plans and my kitchen ideas (must haves) and get them mailed out . . . as i'm learning, once again, --good shops are already busy . . . . 8 to 10 weeks out.
    i need a tactful way to ask for references (along with checking out with the better business b.
    tally -ho . . . . robert a.

• curiousnyc
    16 years ago

Will do, soshh. They say it takes about 7 days for an estimate.

• curiousnyc
    16 years ago

Well we got a ballpark estimate back from Amish Loft, and they are a lot less expensive than expected. We have a small (8x15) kitchen, and without bells and whistles (no super susans, no soft-close drawers) they're saying 14 feet of base cabinetry at $6435 and 15.5 feet of wall cabinetry, 36" high at $5197 or 42" high at $5890. These would be solid maple--no pressboard!--finished on all 4 sides with a stain. 8 to 10 weeks to build. Pretty reasonable if you ask me, though I have nothing to go on at this point but the website and my own romanticized ideas about Amish craftsmen.

• soshh
    16 years ago

So, have you not gotten other estimates yet? It really doesn't sound too bad, about $450 per linear foot for base cabs. Is that only cabinets and not ANY drawer bases?

Thanks for your info! Keep us informed!

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

I need to clarify that we have slab doors. Our look is warm contemporary and this fits our style. I know that other door styles may add significantly to the cost, so keep that in mind when comparing kitchens costs

• jacqueocs
    16 years ago

Curious....did you order from Amish loft? Our additions are still being built, but we'll need to pick out cabinets early next year. I love the looks of these cabinets. We have alot of Amish near us (TN/KY border)...wish I could find someone close who would build them.

• dcindc
    16 years ago

Bump. Has anyone bought from this place?

• dsommerl
    16 years ago

Bumping this one up

Per my other thread---looking to include an Amish cab builder on my shopping list

• curiousnyc
    16 years ago

Just to answer back, we did not end up ordering from them. Time pressures were really the big reason, but now that all our deadlines are so completely forgotten, I'm thinking we could have afforded the wait. Oh well. Some day there will be another kitchen to remodel, and I'll be dreaming about those amish cabinets again.

Sorry I don't have anything to add, but it would be nice to get something on record here for all those interested parties.

• bloominwhereplanted
    16 years ago

I am in the process of ordering from Amish Loft! I will let you know how everything turns out, but so far I am very happy with them. I hesitate to recommend anyone until I've seen the final product, but I really feel like I'm getting great service so far. My cabinets are in production and we're hoping to have them by Christmas! Wish me luck!

bloomin...

• mary_in_nc
    16 years ago

I am not familiar with the Amish Loft but just looking at the design of the cabints it seems like you would loose some cabinet space since they are finished on all four sides and you are stacking them next to each other. Otherwise they are beautiful. Bloominwhereplanted please keep up posted!

• adkhkr
    16 years ago

Bloominwhereplanted, how did the cabinets turn out? Do you have any pictures?

Did anyone else buy from Amish Loft?

I came across their website and am waiting for an estimate from them. Their cabinets have a great look.

• bloominwhereplanted
    16 years ago

Hi adkhkr,

Well, we're in the process of installing their cabinets now. Not really picture-ready yet, but I will post as soon as I can. There were a few issues that they are working to resolve, and until it's all said and done, I can't offer a complete review. I will say that their designer was a pleasure to work with, and I do like their cabinets! Definitely the look I was going for, which was a result of how closely I worked with them. Mine are warm, semi-clear pine, with a distressed black island.

Let us know what you decide, and if you have more questions, feel free to let me know!

bloomin...

• adkhkr
    16 years ago

Thanks for the reply...did you shop around at all, how was the price compared to other cabinets?

Was shipping a lot? I live in LI also.

Quality seems good, would you agree?

It is definitely a unique look without toekicks.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

How much space did you lose because the cabs are finished on all sides? Did you do uppers, too? What about a refrigerator box or panels?

• bloominwhereplanted
    16 years ago

adkhkr - I think their prices are very competitive compared to other custom cabinetry. And I think having it delivered cost about $800. The quality is great.

sarschlos_remodeler - There really isn't a lot of space lost because of the finished sides. My DH estimates maybe 1-1/2" total across 8 feet of cabinetry. And yes, we did uppers and a refrigerator box, but no panels (yet). I'm stuck with my old fridge and DW for now, but may have them do a DW panel in the future when I kill this DW! They can do anything you want.

I really feel like I designed this kitchen, but I couldn't have done it without their helpful designer. The point is, I dreamed up what I wanted, and she made it happen. It will be very exciting when it's all done!

Update: My soapstone is in (DIY), and 90% of the cabinets are installed. Just waiting for the last few pieces, and for handles/pulls. I'll post preliminary pics soon.

bloomin...

• joaniec23
    16 years ago

Bloominwhereplanted,

We can't wait to see your pics!

Craig and Joanie

• bloominwhereplanted
    16 years ago

Okay, Craig & Joanie -- here you go - preliminary pictures! We're still waiting for finishing details: backsplash, crown moulding, and a couple of replaced pieces from the cabinetmaker, like a new drawer as you'll see under the rangetop, and a drawer front on the island. We are reusing our old dishwasher for now, and I'm stuck with my 10 year old fridge for now as well (please pray it breaks soon!). We still have two wall cabinets to hang, to the right and left of the rangetop, and need to put the Advantium in place in the island. I'll show pics of all that when it's finally finished! Please excuse the construction dust in the meantime!

bloomin...

• joaniec23
    16 years ago

Bloomin,

The cabinets and soapstone look great! We love the furniture feel of the cabinets (real legs) and the upper glass portions that match your windows.
    A very nice warm feeling in your kitchen. Great Job! We are still in the planning stages of our build, but we are leaning towards Amish Loft for our cabinets. We really appreciate the photos and look forward to more when you get it finished.

Thanks!

Craig and Joanie

• auntiebubba
    16 years ago

bloominwhereplanted,

Oh my GOSH those are absolutely beautiful!!! I could spend some serious time in that kitchen! I look forward to seeing the whole kitchen and hearing the details when you're finished!
    -ab

• bloominwhereplanted
    16 years ago

Craig and Joanie and auntiebubba - thanks for the compliments! You guys are so sweet. A warm feeling in the kitchen is just what I was going for! I will definitely post more photos & details if we ever finish! (Ahem... I mean WHEN we finish!)

C & J - Did you get a quote from them yet? Or are you still in the design phase?

bloomin...

• pix1
    16 years ago

Hi!
    I'm new to this thread but not to this site. Getting back to my kitchen remodel that I've put on hold twice, and mostly because I can't quite fine the right cabinet and look.
    Bloomin`your kitchen is lovely! Can I assume that you ended up ordering from Amish Loft and are your doors and drawers inset?
    Thanks!

• bloominwhereplanted
    16 years ago

Yes, these are Amish Loft cabinets and they are all inset. Like you, I was looking for a certain look and feel, and for a good price! I had a lot of fun designing this kitchen, and their KD was great at helping to materialize the look I had in my head.

Hope that helps!

bloomin...

• pix1
    16 years ago

It helps a lot. Thanks! I went right to their website and will start drawing a plan to send to them. I've been searching for the furniture look and this might just be the thing.Enjoy your new kitchen!

• joaniec23
    16 years ago

Bloomin,

We are still in the early design phase of our new home. We hired an architect last week and are beginning to make lists of all the things that we would like to include in the home.

Thanks for the photos!

Craig and Joanie

• phoebe4
    16 years ago

This is actually my first time posting but I've been a lurker for about 2 years. My husband and I did a major kitchen addition/remodel - we did most of the work ourselves so needless to say ....it's still going on! anyhow - I felt moved to respond to this link - we have ordered from Amish Loft Cabinetry and I had a much different experience from Bloomin's (your cabinets are beautiful). Our order took much longer than we were originally told. Upon receiving the cabinets - several pieces had to be sent back - wrong sizes and believe it or not - poor workmanship - measurements in accurate, finishing nails coming through the back of the cabinet that were visible from the front, interior shelves rocked ( they failed to line up the holes correctly). I found the KD to be helpful too. My cabinets are painted and now (only have them for a few months) I've noticed they are cracking where some of the wood is joined - I'm not sure if this is normal or if I should complain. My husband and I just want to put this part of the project behind us. I could go on about the problems but I'm trying to stay positive. One final note - I was told they never had problems before and they think it was because I ordered my cabinets during harvest time and the cabinet maker may have had other people working on them. I think they are a small operation (which is good) but there are some underlying problems with their cabinetmaker. Anyhow - that's all the wisdom I can offer.

• louisa_smith03
    16 years ago

Pheobe4 thank you so much for your post--- it is good to get a "heads up" about this stuff.

• bloominwhereplanted
    16 years ago

I actually never said I didn't have any problems... I said I am withholding my final review until some issues are resolved. I can assure you, phoebe4, that you are not the only one to have problems (like Amish Loft told you) -- at least not at this point (mine were recently delivered)! However, I don't think it's unusual to have some errors with custom cabinetry (maybe I'm wrong??), but I do think it's all in how the company handles any problems that arise. If they can resolve issues promptly and without too much trouble, I'm happy. I discovered, however, that Amish Loft didn't really jump to satisfy me until I withheld final payment (which I will happily pay as soon as the issues are resolved). I expect to see my corrected pieces this weekend, and I will know more then about how we feel about the whole process and the company as a whole. I agree, this company is small, and you're right - that's good and sometimes not so good.

They made some of the pieces to the wrong dimensions, which they are replacing outright. I also had screws come through on a drawer front, which they are replacing. I do think their finish process may have been somewhat rushed, but you're right, it's not as evident on stained pieces. My island, however, is painted... but I haven't seen problems with that finish yet, although it is purposely distressed. So I don't know what to tell you about your paint cracking -- although I have heard of that happening with painted finishes (from this forum).

I hope you are able to get your issues resolved.

bloomin...

• phoebe4
    16 years ago

Bloomin - wish I was as smart as you. They told me that it was their policy that cabinets be "paid in full" before they left the cabinet maker - how did you get around that? When I was trying to correct problems - Amish Loft had the cabinet maker call me directly - which I really didn't appreciate. My feeling was that I hired them to do all the interfacing with their supplier - otherwise why wouldn't I just cut the middle man out? anyhow - there were a few things that I just let go because I felt like they were getting totally sick of dealing with me. I had to make several phonecalls to get one return call. I do love your kitchen - Bloomin and I really like the look of the cabinetry - the style I think will prove timeless. P4

• bloominwhereplanted
    16 years ago

Well, they never told me that policy! They said the final payment was due at delivery, which I made... but when I quickly discovered the problems and became concerned that they didn't seem too willing to respond favorably to correct things, I placed a "stop payment" on the check. Of course, that only worked because they told me too late that they expected a bank check (Saturday afternoon when delivery was on a Sunday), which is what they originally wanted. In any event, I certainly wouldn't have felt comfortable making any final payments before I had even seen any cabinets!

I wouldn't have appreciated being contacted by the cabinetmaker, either! You're right -- you and I contracted with THEM to handle everything with the cabinetmaker. They should be able to make their cabinetmakers correct everything without involving you more than is necessary. And I also didn't appreciate the delays in delivery (the cabs ended up being about 3 weeks late), but I've come to believe that's not uncommon with custom cabinetry either.

I'm sorry you had a difficult time. I still would love to see pictures of your kitchen... does it resemble the painted cabinets on their website? Those are so pretty! I do still believe their cabinets have a somewhat unique look which I am still happy I went with. It seems you feel the same.

bloomin...

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

bump to the front page

• L.Lefferts
    12 years ago

We purchased cabinets from Amish Loft for our 1820's house located in Southern NJ. We got the walnut countertops and everyone who sees my kitchen is crazy about it. The solid wood cabinets are free standing, easy to keep clean, and require very little upkeep. We were very happy with Amish Loft. I hope they are still in business!

• Frances Grimble
    8 years ago

I am thinking of ordering from them, but it's been about a week and we haven't even gotten the basic rough estimate. They haven't had to design or build anything yet and we need to know when we can move into our house. Are they usually this slow?

• loves2cook46
    8 years ago

Work directly with the cabinet maker. I still highly recommend Ayr. They did our bathroom as well. They have a website and facebook page now :) http://www.ayrcabinet.com/index and https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ayr-Cabinet-Company/277996875575069?sk=photos_stream

• Camille468 Harry
    6 years ago
    Loves2cook, what was Ayrs pricing like in comparison to other cabinet lines? Any other updates on Amish loft?
  • colotwn
    6 years ago

camille468 - message me and I'll tell you what I found. I have done a ton of resesarch on cabinets, including Amish.

• Valentina
    last year

Wondering if anyone has more recent experience with Amish Loft. Thanks!