SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coolbeansw

3rd anniversary of reno, still backsplash-challenged

coolbeansw
14 years ago

I was one of those people who decided to live with my new kitchen for a while before settling on a backsplash. Big mistake!! It'll be three years this September, and I still haven't installed one. Long story short, last week I decided to just paint it. The walls are white, the cabinets glossy laminate in platinum grey, the counters black diamond granite, the floor blue-gray tile. I picked one of my favorite colors in the universe -- robin's egg blue -- had it formulated in a nice light, flat enamel, and applied two coats. The day I let it dry, everytime I walked into the kitchen my heart did a little dance. It was the perfect color. I was convinced I'd nailed it.

Then I removed all of the butcher's paper that was covering the counters. Bam! The wall color changed dramatically. The shiny black granite bounces a shadow on the backsplash walls. It darkens the blue considerably. And not in a good way. I could not believe my eyes. But as soon as I place something light-colored on top of the counter, the color of my dreams returns on the backsplash behind it. And if I turn off the kitchen lights, the backsplash gets noticably lighter.

I've been experimenting with mixing up a lighter paint color, but it's just making it too washed out. Any helpful ideas? Should I try applying a glaze? If the original paint had been eggshell or semigloss instead of flat, might that have made a difference?

Sorry I'm not posting pictures -- the few I took with my phone just didn't capture what I'm talking about. TIA.

Comments (6)