SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

(wish I had a catchy title) Need layout help

bbstx
15 years ago

Background: DH has retired and we have moved into our vacation home. As a vacation place, the kitchen was fine for what we needed...a bowl of cereal in the mornings and a glass of wine in the evenings. But now that we are permanently living here, the kitchen is woefully inadequate. We are in a very rural area. I have consulted with an interior designer in our small town, and a kitchen planner with a custom cabinet company (not CKD) in a larger town an hour away. I wasn't enthralled with either. There is not a CKD within a reasonable distance.

I have been reading here for ages. You folks seem to be much more knowledgeable and more inventive with solutions than any of the "professionals" I've consulted. Please give me some help...a little of your collective wisdom.

Below is a basic outline of the kitchen area. (I struggled with Google SketchUp all morning and this is the results. If anyone can tell me how to add in elements like counters, etc., I would be most grateful.)

The blue box is the laundry room/closet. It has double doors that open on the long dimension. We looked at moving the washer and dryer to a different location, but our plumber did a thorough search of the house and came to the conclusion that where it is best.

I would like to avoid moving the sink or the range. The sink is on the wall marked 162 1/8". The range is on the wall marked 111". The windows on the wall opposite the range go all the way to the floor.

Here is what I have come up with so far: leave the sink where it is; on the range wall, put the dishwasher as close to the sink as possible, then put the range next to that. Put the refrigerator in a bank of cabinets on the wall opposite the range.

I am planning on a 30" dual fuel range, and a 36" counter-depth refrigerator. No fancy range hood because I can't afford to lose the cabinet space.

The ceiling is 9 feet and I plan to have cabinets all the way to the ceiling.

I would appreciate any comments, suggestion, feedback, whatever. (Also, if anyone can tell me how to put in cabinets on Google SketchUp, I would appreciate it. Or is there free software that is easier to use? Tried floorplanner.com with little sucess on that one too. There is always graph paper and a pencil.)

{{!gwi}}

Comments (16)