SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hsw_sc

Advice for starting the planning process...

hsw_sc
14 years ago

My husband and I are planning for a kitchen remodel within the next year or two. I have bought every remodeling magazine, requested literature from different cabinet companies, ordered samples of soapstone, speced out appliance pricing, gotten a quote for counters and installation, poured over posts on this forum,you name it. I'm basically in a major "homework" phase. I haven't actually been to vendors here in town since it seems a bit premature (I realize that prices and products will change before we start our project).

Here's where I'd like y'alls input:

A) Am I actually thinking too far ahead? Remember, we won't start until next year at the earliest.

B) Is the model set by the NKBA a fairly good reference for figuring out a budget? I have already figured out our budget dollar amount by the 15% of our home value and broken down the components (cabs., counters, etc) by their suggested percentage values. Clearly there are going to be things that will cost more or less, but is it pretty right on to use the model? Did you use this model?

C) For those of you that used a designer, what made you pick them? Did you need help with moving water lines and such or help with everything in general? I'd love to do most of the contracting myself (to save $), but there are aspects of the kitchen that I think I'd need some help with, which leads to the question of...

D) for structural concerns (again, water lines, gas lines) is it better (in your opinion) to get a designer's opinion or a plumber's/carpenter's/electrician's opinion?

We will not be knocking out any walls or adding new floors, so those are not concerns.

Sorry that this is so long, I'm just full of questions (there will be more!). Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)