craftlady07_gw

Starting the process - existing and planned layout inside

craftlady07
13 years ago

I introduced myself on Friday (here's the link to the post

My Intro

I think we've decided on a layout but first, here's what we're starting with

And here's what we've decided so far

As you'll see in my intro post, we're just starting the process. We won't be making any real commitments for a few weeks at least so there's time to change our minds :)

Some of the highlights:

- My style is country/farmhouse/traditional

- This is a complete kitchen renovation. We're tearing out a wall, replacing all windows with new construction windows, and going down to the floor joists since our subfloor is tongue and groove planks, not plywood and we'll be installing radiant floor heating. The plumbing is getting moved and everything that isn't already re-wired, will be (DH had to do osme minor re-wiring when he installed my dishwaer). That work won't be too bad since the basement is unfinished.

- I like maple wood. We have existing molding around the windows and doors we'll be saving/mimiking. We're not going to find cabinets that match so we have to work on complimenting them. We're definitely doing all wood cabinets and stained, not painted. The upper cabinets will butt up against a soffit.

- We're going to do a granite countertop and we want locally quarried slate floors (which would be blue slate).

- I am pretty sure I want a beadboard backsplash.

- we're doing the work ourselves with the help of our friends (many of whom have remodeled 1 or more kitchens themselves including DH).

I've checked out the FKB (which is phenominal!) and have been googling and tearing pages out of magazines like it's my job.

I know as we make progress I'll have more specific questions most of which will probably be for recommendations (I've already been taking notes from some existing posts on here) and help with asthetics. That's where I struggle. I have a hard time seeing the big picture sometimes and I can't make a small decision without thinking how it'll impact the entire room. I'm not good at knowing when something gets washed out or really noticing the different shades or tones. The room will have a boatload of natural light since my south facing wall is all windows, so whatever colors I go with are going to look drastically different in the day vs at night. I think picking out the granite is going to be the most challenging part since it will have to tie in the walls, cabinets and floor.

We've gotten some quotes on the cabinets, 2 came in at a little over $8k (with some of the pricier upgrades such as special glazes, soft close/full extension drawers, built-in pantry) and one place came in at $5K without the glaze or pantry option. They're more of a warehouse then a design center so to speak, and offer all wood construction. 2 of our friends have gotten their cabinets there and have been very happy with them so far (they've been in for over 5 years). The problem is they have VERY limited door styles and colors. But the other upgrade options are avialable. I just can't see spending $2k-$3k more just because I like a color better. It's not that the color I chose from the cheaper place won't work, I just like the other ones better - figures, doesn't it?!

Well that's about it, that's the plan as it stands today.

Any thoughts, advice, words of wisdom or inspirational photos would be greatly appreciated :)

I added the link to the photobucket album with some pictures of my old kitchen. I have to take more to show you what it really looks like but it'll give you an idea I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Existing kitchen album

Comments (6)