SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newenglandsara2

How to break up the wood in our kitchen?

9 years ago

Hi there,

We are putting in a new kitchen in an open kitchen/family room space, and I am worried that we will have too much wood. I would love some suggestions on how to break up the space. The kitchen will have cabinetry and appliances (plus a few doors) on three sides, and the fourth side is open to the family room. The cabinetry will be natural, European beech with some glass doors mixed in. The floors will be oak in a low VOC, water-based finish that tends to look lighter than oil-based finishes. We will probably go with a light-medium gray quartz countertop, stainless appliances and a white cast iron apron sink. In the center of the room will be a small island with a natural beech banquette that backs right up to it so that we can fit a table in the kitchen. our existing kitchen chairs are maple (very similar in color to the beech of the cabinets), and we will need to buy a trestle table.

I am worried that between the floors, the cabinets and the chairs, we will have too much wood. However, I don't want to go with painted cabinets since my kids will ding them up. (The island can be painted, but it won't show much due to the banquette in front of it.)

I welcome any input on the best ways to keep the room from looking like a sea of wood! :-)

Thanks!

Sara

Comments (7)