SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily_mb

Beware of this scam

emily_mb
13 years ago

First responses to my Craigslist add was a coordinated scam attempt. Steps: 1) several immediate calls from "different" buyers, 2) definite intent to buy with a minor hesitation, 3) reasonable requests/reasons for delay (measurement?), 4) developing trust (some personal info. and a pattern of "a bit late, but coming through, 5) more reasonable delays, 6) call saying So and So is there with a check (full payment in cash ahead of the cabinet removal had been established), 7) potential buyer number 2 is in on the scam and also delays. I don't know how many callers are in on it. I went down to buyer number 7 and got cash on the spot.

What's the idea? Once desperate, cabinets down and no place to put them, seller will settle for a check. The people who do this are very smooth, relaxed, and trustworthy. You NEVER get bad vibes from their body language, voice, or the content of their speech-- other than the delays. This is amazing to me because I am so sensitive to subtle cues that I unintentionally adopt the accent of the person with whom I am speaking. Well, there was one clue besides the delays. There was a brief glance exchange and smile between husband and wife when I said that once down, I would have no place to store the cabinets.

Suggestion? Line up several buyers, demand full payment in cash, in advance, first person with cash has the item.

Comments (6)