SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sadiesmom_gw

beware: costco membership scam

sadiesmom
20 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking here and the Organizing forum ever since they required paid membership, but I encountered a situation yesterday that I can't believe and which bothered me enough that I wanted my posting privilege back so I finally "bucked up".

When I was paying for my Costco stuff yesterday, the clerk told me that my membership was due and I KNEW it hadn't been a year since I did it, so I went to the membership desk and had the person there look up my records. In fact, I did renew my membership last year in late November, but guess what? Since orininally I became a member in June of 1998, that is when my membership is due every year, NO MATTER WHAT. I spoke to the store manager about it as well as the membership representative. All they could tell me was that "that is the way the system is set up" When I tried to explain that I expected to get a one year membership when I did pay for it, they said that even though I renewed in November, it was considered a late renewal. I asked what if I renewed in February and they told me it would still be due in June since that is originally when I became a member. The manager said that is how it is set up all over the country and I am the first person he has heard of who thought it was misleading. (It was a very friendly and polite conversation but I was dumbfounded) The first person I talked to tried to explain to me that even though I didn't renew last year until November, that their services were available to me the entire time. I told her they weren't because my card was expired so I couldn't shop there that whole time and she replied again, "well the membership was available to you though"

The manager did go on to explain that if I wanted to go to the trouble, I could completely cancel out my original membership and start the whole process over again. But that every time I let my membership lapse because I didn't want to shop there, I would have to do the same thing when I renewed. That is okay with me and maybe even reasonable on there part, but I asked if anyone ever informed people of this and he said "oh no, we couldn't do that". Sheesh.

Does anyone think besides me think this is totally crazy??? I know people don't keep track of dates like this and I think that it is an easy way for them to "getcha".

Comments (39)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012
More Discussions