SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommyto4boys_gw

Thoughts on a lot... (long, sorry)

12 years ago

So, I'm working on a new house plan and the kitchen has me stumped some yet...close...but, I need to roll some ideas off the pros for some "food for thought!"

I have always had a dishwasher to the right of my clean-up sink and store dishes to the right of that. Can you get used to something else or would that drive me crazy forever. The new kitchen may have a better layout and the dishes would be closer to the dining room if the dishwasher is to the left and the dish hutch to the left of the dishwasher. I'm very concerned that walking the extra steps, etc might be better than me going "left?!?!"

Dilema/Issue #2....Double ovens...I find myself occasionally wishing I had 2 ovens. Sometimes with baking cookies, but we manage fine there. Oh, we now have 5 boys, so are a family of 7, perhaps 8 (someday). When we have movie night and we make all sorts of snacks in the oven and for the major Holidays I could see a double oven being used. However, we are planning an oven in the basement kitchenette. So, I'm thinking if I have an extra one there would you forget about doubles in the main kitchen? The movie snacks would then be made down there. Then a few times a year for the Holidays, someone could always run the rolls down or something if we wanted to.

Am I crazy for liking a cooktop over the amazing looking ranges that are so jaw-dropping gorgeous. I love my current cooktop beacuse I think the custom drawers under it are super and I love it because my built-in oven is raised up and I don't have to bend down to see in it. But, I think it too could help my layout to have the range all in one...but I love my drawers and high oven??? What do you think, go with what I have and love even if it makes for a lesser layout. By that I mean the oven would most likly need to be outside of my "L" (the clean-up sink on one side and the cooktop on the other side). The oven and fridge would then need to be on a third wall, making more of a U-shaped kitchen. The negative part here is there would be a walkway from the laundry/garage/mud room areas that would lead between the island and oven/fridge. I've seen this done before a lot, but I have also seen feedbak against this too.

So I guess my next question/idea/problem was already stated above...what do you think of walkways from other areas of the house in front of the oven/fridge. I'm really not too concerned about that because we don't use the oven that much. The cooktop would have been a bigger isse, I think. We have a big family, but I think I could manuver the cookie sheets over to the island without burning someone?!?!

Lastly I know this has been addressed before, but will I really get used to a prep sink in my island. I currently ahve a 4 1/2 ft island by 12 feet and LOVE it. I don't have a prep sink and there are many times I think a sink here would be nice. I prep on the short side, acorss from the cooktop and that would stay the same in the new house. I spread out so much, I feel like I use that 4 feet and would not have room for a sink. Is that crazy or what?!?!

I really appreciate your thoughts and helping me sort these things out, to help me get my layout down. Thank you!!!

Comments (14)