SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefly

Kitchen reno - mainly backsplash question

firefly
9 years ago

Hi all, we close on our new home on Aug. 22 and are planning to renovate the kitchen because it's not to our style. The house was built in the 90's and has been very well-maintained. We're keeping the footprint the same, repainting the walls light gray, the cabinets white, changing the countertops to Carrara marble and switching out the appliances to SS. Yes, I know, it sounds so typical, but I've always wanted a white kitchen. :) For the backsplash, I initially thought I would just go with white subway tile, but after browsing through the GW forums, I feel like it would be nice to have the backsplash be a different pattern or a different color of fireclay tile.

Here are a few photos of the kitchen as it is right now:

We'll be putting in a 36" rangetop (Thermador or Bluestar) and either a free-standing hood or one under cabinet, but definitely getting rid of the above cooktop microwave. Currently they have a 30" cooktop installed. I understand we'll be losing cabinet/storage space but the house has lots of storage next to the kitchen so that's not an issue. We also plan to level the island and perhaps extend the overhang another 6". Island to be painted either white or light gray, haven't decided yet. The double wall ovens are to the left of the coffee-maker.

Will probably switch the fridge to a CD model as we're a family of 3 and I don't like to have the fridge sticking out. Looking at this photo again, does it make sense to have the table be two heights or would it be better to lower the right side and have it also be one level? Maybe I can use it as a baking station? Ideally I would also like to change the flooring to wood or wood tile but I guess we'll live with it for now and revisit in 3 years.

We're planning to tear down the cabinets above the counter (is that called a peninsula?). Here you can see the GC having a look to see what needs to be done.

Here's the beverage area beside the peninsula.

Here's one tile option, but DH is not a huge fan. It's called Oceanside Meridian Glass Tile and it's supposed to be made of recycled glass.

This one is made of marble (can't recall offhand) but is it too small? Too many grout lines for the kitchen?

I realize it's hard to tell since we don't have the actual Carrara slab picked out yet. Would it be weird to have a Carrara counter and a Carrara BS as well, especially since they won't come from the same slab and the color might be off?

The other option, which I mentioned above, is to do Fireclay subway tile in a different color, either a light gray, a super pale aqua, or a super pale jade.

And if I can't decide, the default option is white subway tile.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert