SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeannieo_gw

Question about your beadboard backsplash

jeannieo
19 years ago

I really need advice from those with real beadbord as a backspalsh in their kitchen or bath. We have just installed tongue & groove boards for our kitchen backsplash. At the seam with the countertop, we finished off with a miniature cove molding. I painted fronts and backs of each board with two coats of shallac-based primer, and painted (after installastion) with a good oil-based eggshell paint (two coats).

We cannot agree on the question of caulking. DH caulked behind the cove molding, and he will caulk the seam between the cove molding and granite. He wants to caulk between the cove and the beadboard as well. However, I am worried that this will ruin "the look", that it will just look like we have "gunk" in the grooves. Of course, his argument is that we might get water behind the cove molding in the grooves, which could ruin the wood or BEGIN MOLDING (horrors! I HATE mold in my house and I am very allergic!). Personally, I think the risk is theoretical and it won't really happen in practice.

If you have had a beadboard backsplash, what did you do about this detail? What was your experience?

I need to decide SOON!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH