SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbcullen_gw

Range Hood Venting Problem

mbcullen
12 years ago

I'm installing a range hood in our kitchen. The hood is a Broan E66130SS. And for reference, here's a photo of the kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

The stove is on an interior wall. The wall to the right with the window is an exterior one. We have a torchdown roof and a couple of contractors have recommended against going up and through it, so that leaves going out the exterior wall.

The hood has a rectangular exhaust port - 3.25"x13.75" and requires that size rectangular or 8" diameter round ducting (it's 600 cfm). To use round ducting and get to the exterior wall a straight boot and a ninety degree bend are required. The interior of the cabinet is 11.25" deep and 12" tall.

The plan was to install the hood under the cabinet above the stove and run the ducting through that cabinet and out the side wall. The problem that I've run into is that the interior of the cabinet is 12" tall, and the combination of the straight boot and 8" diameter 90 degree bend is 19" tall. It *might* be possible to use the space beneath the interior of the cabinet and the range hood, but that still only gets me up to a total of 13.5". There is a little over four feet of space between the top of the cabinet and the roof, so it might be possible to build a soffit that fills part of that space that the duct could run through, but because the cabinet is only 12" deep, and the positioning of a stud on the exterior wall that I want to avoid, it might be difficult to build a soffit with enough space inside for the duct to run through. We also like the open uncluttered look that it has now.

Is there any other way that I can go from the rectangular exhaust port to round duct within that 12 to 13.5" space? Is there some way to get custom ducting made? If that's the case, maybe I could get some sort of rectangular ducting to go through the cabinets and then put in a boot to connect to the round exterior vent?

Or is there some other easier way to do this that I haven't thought of?

Comments (3)