SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zophie_gw

Cracks in my painted mitered flat paneled cabinet

Zophie
10 years ago

I'm renovating/updating virtually everything in my 1930's lannon stone house including gutting the kitchen. Per my contractor's recommendation I hired a company to make and install custom made kitchen and master bathroom cabinets. My general made a point that I deal directly with the cabinet guys.

So I hired the company and requested painted cabinets. The pertinent part of the contract follows:
"Painted Kitchen Cab. full overlay construction. Mitered flat panel doors, dovetailed wooden drawer boxes..."
Here's the problem: at least 1/3 of the cabinet doors, which I asked them to paint white dove have cracks between the joints after less than a month after installation. Now, I am a total rehab novice, but what I've gathered from a previous thread is that one should not miter painted cabinet doors because of a cracking issue. I didn't even know what "mitered" meant until I looked it up today.

The head honcho cabinet maker has not been to my home lately, sending his underlings to finish the job, such as install crown molding... I pointed out the issue to the installers and they said it was my problem since I did not have central air conditioning. The cabinets were installed in mid June, and we have had a very cool summer so far in Chicago, although not without a few hot weeks. Coincidentally, my brand new SpacePak central air system is finished and being hooked up this week. Never the less, it is unrealistic to think that my home will be a constant 68 degrees year round for the sake of my cabinets. I love fresh air!

I want to cry, these cabinets are really expensive and yes, I've paid for 90% of the total cost, which they requested after the majority of the cabinetry was installed.

It is absolutely unacceptable that my new kitchen and master bath cabinets have cracks after one month. I expect these cabinet to last 30 years, not 30 days.
How do I approach the cabinet maker about this. Is it realistic to ask him to replace all the cabinet panels in a different, non cracking, way? How should he have made them? What argument can I use?

Comments (7)