SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buffalotina

Painted Flat Panel Cabinet doors - MDF or wood panel?

buffalotina
14 years ago

Hi,

I am looking at recessed flat panel shaker style cabinet doors in a painted finish. Some cabinet companies use an all wood door - ie maple rails and stiles and maple reverse raised panel, others use MDF for the center panel saying that the movement of the wood will lead to separation of the panel and an unsightly crack in the paint. I am talking to a local custom cabinet maker right now who insists he will only use MDF for the flat panel of painted doors because he has had so much trouble and had to replace doors etc when he used all wood. BUT, one cabinet place told me that paint on MDF will look different from the surround paint on the surrounding wood over time. When I say paint I suppose I mean tinted lacquer as that is what the local guy is using and I assume that is what commerical cabinet companies use too - the conversion finish.

Any help and advice on how to navigate this is much appreciated. I sort of don't like the idea of MDF especially if it is going to look different over time. I can imagine chemicals leaching from it and changing the finish differently than wood... but of course I don't want cracks around the panel either!

Thanks in advance.

Tina

Comments (17)