SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crzyktchnlady

Polished granite + marble = too much? Laminated edge?

crzyktchnlady
14 years ago

Thank you to fellow obsessed users, lurkers and others who responded to my "GW addict" post. IÂm glad to know IÂm not alone in my insatiable appetite for the details of other peopleÂs kitchens! IÂve been lurking so long it feels strange to finally join in, but I feel like I know so many of the regulars and even new members just from obsessively reading all the posts!! IÂve already gotten so many great ideas here and so much useful knowledge.

IÂm planning cream cabs with caramel glaze, golden hardwood floor to match rest of house, black counters. Because the kitchen is small  galley style  there wonÂt be any very long uninterrupted stretches of granite. On the one long wall (13.5') IÂm thinking of going with a black Silgranit sink for continuity and not sure yet between a black or stainless top on the SS range (will have a SS chimney hood). Opinions? IÂve already picked my backsplash  Calcutta gold polished pillowed 2x4 subway tiles. I love the grey and gold highlights. I have also fallen in love with a slab of Black Cosmos granite. It has white "milky way" streaks, a few beige-y-gold spots and some very tiny burgundy speckles. It is polished also. I like movement granite and I guess I like shiny, but will this be too much shiny? Will reflections from undercabinet lights be a problem? I have read the bad stuff about honed black and I havenÂt seen many honed slabs in my area. I like soapstone, but I havenÂt seen any that is truly black, more gray/greenish, and am not sure I want to deal with the maintenance issues. Will this granite and the marble be too fussy together? Opinions?

Second question  in my last house, the counters were 3cm granite. That was in Texas and everyone had 3 cm (in Texas, everything really is bigger!) Now I am in Calif. and it is all 2cm. The laminated edge idea is bothering me. I donÂt even mind a thinner slab, but it seems weird to pretend it is thicker than it is and I know that the seam will show. Those of you who have 2 cm with laminated edge, how do you feel about it? Does anyone have 2cm without the laminated edge? Is it a structural problem? IÂm wondering if this would work in my kitchen where I am trying to keep things "to scale" and have nothing over-sized. Thanks for your thoughts and Happy Fourth of July to all!

Comments (8)