SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hydrangea_2008

Prep Sink / Utility Sink : Help!

hydrangea_2008
15 years ago

We're designing a U shaped kitchen (with an island) and we're planning to have two sinks. This email has many issues/questions - so thanks for reading!

One utility sink in a 30" (or 27" base) and a prep sink that should fit in about an 18-20" base cabinet in the island(this is to be mostly for washing vegetables, water for cooking, etc). There will be no garbage disposal under either sink.

I need the expertise of the people here - so do help me please

(1) Space is tight in our kitchen. Under either the prep or the utility sinks (preferably prep sink), I'd like to fit in a recycling pullout (instead of wasting an 18"/15" base cabinet for just a recycling pullout). Rev-A-Shelf (available at Lowe's) seems to have one that may fit.

Is this is a viable option - has anybody done this? I suspect that since these recycling pullouts are off the shelf, they could even be retro-fitted into existing kitchens. Any quality issues with these things?

(2) In our island (where the prep sink sits), I want to have a receptacle for vegetable wastes (that has a lid and rests flush with the countertop). Does anybody know of any company that manufactures these? I have seen pictures in magazines - but want brand name suggestions, if possible.

(3) Any good suggestions for sinks? I like clean lines like the Elkay Nouveau Gourmet. This sink (at Costco) for example costs USD 699.99, and fits into a 27" base cabinet and is a full 10" deep. Any less expensive options?

(4) Any suggestions for sinks where the drain hole is more towards the back of the sink or off center? I'm thinking of placing the faucet to a side (for both sinks). Any perils/pitfalls with this approach?

We're designing the kitchen in zones - and as I dont have many wall cabinets, I'm having to really pare down and pick and choose what I want. This is a good thing - but seems to require a lot of researching.

Thanks a lot!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH