SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

? for single basin sink owners: prep sink, yes or no?

lisa_a
14 years ago

Here's a question for single basin sink owners: do you have a prep sink, too?

If so, are you glad you added it despite the additional expense? Where is it in relation to clean-up sink, cooktop/range and fridge? How big is it?

If you don't have a prep sink, do you wish you did or do you manage without one just fine?

To all:

Are you a 1-cook, 2-cook or multiple-cook kitchen?

How big is your kitchen?

We currently have the Kohler Executive Chef double basin sink but we're leaning towards a single basin sink (Franke Orca in white fireclay is the front-runner) when we remodel. We could add a prep sink to our island however I'm not sure I want to interrupt the island surface with a sink, especially since we're going to the trouble of moving our cooktop off it. Also, this remodel has escalated from a face-lift to a full remodel so if I can avoid extra expenses, I will.

I'm honestly on the fence about this.

If it helps, here's my current plan.

The clean-up sink location may adjust slightly and the fridge will shift towards the sink (we're widening the DR doorway) but otherwise, this plan is pretty close to complete. If we added a prep sink, it would be at the cooktop end of the island, either facing the cooktop as elizpiz has it or facing the DW as in theanimala's kitchen. Both of these kitchens have sink, DW and cooktop/range set-up similar to what we're planning.

elizpiz' kitchen (you can just see a corner of her cooktop to the left)

theanimala's kitchen:

TIA!

Comments (15)