SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angie_diy

Slide-in range in front of window -- what to do for backguard?

angie_diy
12 years ago

In my very first post (link below), the GW community (big shout-out to Buehl!) came up with a great layout. FINALLY today, we committed to that layout (known as Buehl #2), and I am now brimming with questions. The most pressing one, subject of this post, is how to handle the area behind the range.

A key enabling feature for this layout was Marcolo's suggestion that I could put my range in front of one of my windows (which meets my local code):

That picture shows glass block, but in the meantime I decided that a single sheet of thermal-pane obscure glass would be easier to install and easier to keep clean. However, that won't be as rugged as glass block, and so I am concerned about guarding it against pots and pans on the range.

I am convinced that I want a slide-in, because the backguards of free-standing ranges are about 12" tall. This would (along with the range hood) block more of my little window than I am happy with.

Right now, the window is below countertop height. I am having a mason come to brick up the window to raise it to a proper height. I have to decide soon, therefore, how high above countertop height to place the bottom of the window. How should I treat that area?

I know little about slide-in ranges. From reading a few installation manuals and looking at finished kitchen pix, it appears that there is often (but not always) a 2-3" strip of countertop behind a slide-in. I plan to install soapstone countertops. I had not yet decided whether to use a ~3" tall soapstone short backsplash below a tile backsplash, or just use a tile BS. (Opinions welcome!)

I assume that I should have the window raised up at least a few inches above countertop level so that pots and pans won't hit it. One question is how high is high enough? A second question is should I have a window sill (non-flammable) to provide a little "bumper" or "fender" for the window? The window will be completely removed/rebuilt/replaced, so anything is possible.

Any thoughts!?

THANKS! A_D

Here is a link that might be useful: Challenging Layout conundrum

Comments (15)