SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

Please review layouts and give ideas for small eatinga rea

scrappy25
10 years ago

2 rounds with architects for kitchen expansion and the estimates are just too high for our neighborhood. So now I am thinking of renovating in the space that we have. Here are some of the alternatives I was thinking of. I have a 42" subzero fridge , a 30" wolf oven, and a 36" gaggenau induction (display models purchased during the recession) in my home waiting for the remodel. I can probably sell them if I can't fit them in. In the "double oven" area of the layouts I was thinking of putting a speed oven above the Wolf oven.

I'd especially like to preserve the view from the front hallway out the large window at the back of the eating area as we have a lovely back yard and that is what people always comment on when they enter the house.

My husband is adamant about keeping the dining room separate. We use it enough that I agree with that.

PS I have played with islands but the 10'4" does not seem wide enough for one.

NOTE:Notations for doors and opening to family room added to address comments raised by herbflavor and rosie in the first 2 comments below, thank you!

Plan A shows approximately the peninsula layout we currently have, with the cooktop and fridge moved to optimize the layout and include a real hood (currently, Jennair cooktop is in the peninsula with a downdraft). Instead of 12" deep cabinets on the eating area side of the peninsula, we currently have a 12" overhang but cannot realistically sit there with stools since we have a table with chairs. I added the 12" cabinets in this layout for more storage.
Ignore the cabinets outside the kitchen, they are the alternatives I was playing with.

Plan B shows the peninsula moved over about 12" toward the kitchen, narrowing the space inside the U to 5' instead of the current 5.5 feet. This has a 12" pullout cabinet beside the sink for trash. The cabinets on the eating area side of the peninsula would increase to 21" or 18" (24"+18"=42" wide peninsula) (alt. 21"+21"=42" wide). This would give my much needed storage.

Plan C shows a corner cabinet with a round lazy susan beside the sink but the trash would have to go under then sink. Again deeper cabinets added on the eating area side of the peninsula. as in plan B.

As you can see, each version leaves me with a 7' wide eating area. This is what we have now but without the cabinets on the eating area now, just a counter overhang We do fit a table with chairs in there now but no one really sits near the window, it is too hard to get to. In my diagrams I envisioned a banquette type seating area. One idea was to do a box bay bumpout to put a window seat in but that does not increase the 7' width of the eating area. If you have ideas for what to do with this area please post them!

Thank you in advance for your comments and advice.

This post was edited by scrappy25 on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 9:20

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!