SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vlovil

Please help me figure out which way to go

vlovil
11 years ago

Hi

I've been following this forum for a few months now... So many great ideas and help.

We built our house 25 years ago. January 1st my oven went out so I figured it was a good time to remodel the kitchen. I bought a new oven and went ahead and bought a new refrigerator also. Hubby has heart problems now so he said to find a contractor instead of us doing the work.

The one problem I have is the oven is to close to the corner. For 25 years I haven't been able to open the cabinet door all the way, where I have my pots & pans.

My initial idea was to take out the pantry, move the fridge and the oven down. Put a lazy susan in the corner cabinet. Add a cabinet between the fridge and oven. If I remember right, we won't have to move electric, gas or water lines doing this.

I would leave the rest of the layout the same and reface them with new doors and drawer fronts to match the new ones.

I had a contractor come out and he had his cabinet guy come out. He gave me a quote of $11,300 just for cabinets, doors, drawer fronts and stain them to match my china cabinet. When the contractor was talking to me when he first came out, he said it may be cheaper for me to go to one of the local cabinet companies we have and do all new cabinets. They wouldn't be as well made as what I have now. The ones I have now are custom, 3/4 Ash. They are still in great shape. I just want a new door style. I've just got plain slab doors. If I decide to put all new cabinets in, I will tear out the soffet. If not, I will leave it.

The 2 cabinet companies I'm looking at are Republic Industries and Master Woodcraft Cabinetry. Has anyone heard of them?

www.republicind.com/

www.mwccabinetry.com/

The countertop I want is Cambria Canterbury. It runs about $68 sq ft around here. But then Santa Cecilia and Giallo Ornamental runs about $40 sq ft. Now I'm bobbling on that.

I've got pictures if I can figure out how to post them.

Thank you

Comments (11)