SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_belle

We've made a mistake and are thinking of ways to deal with it (m)

karen_belle
13 years ago

It's a stupid mistake, but probably not unusual. The drawers next to our cooktop are going to bang into the pulls on the corner cabinet when we pull them out. See the corner to the right of the cooktop?

We haven't yet installed the pulls. In fact, we haven't even bought the pulls. So there's nothing "wrong" yet, but when we finally finish our k itchen we'd like to be able to open our doors and drawers without breaking our fingernails, LOL.

Our style is modern. The doors are slabs. One thought I had was just to notch the one cabinet door in the corner so there's no pull there to interfere with the drawers.

Then I started thinking about the next cabinet over...I'd like long stainless bar pulls, so if I went the whole width of the door this one, too, would interfere with the drawer next to the cooktop.

Then I started thinking about integral pulls, you know the extruded aluminum handles on modern kit chens, like by Henrybuilt...I love that look, but DH is resisting. We'd thought to install pulls ourselves, but integrated pulls will mean that our cabinet maker has to route each door and drawer front and install the hardware.

This is the cabinet maker I told you about a couple of weeks ago who's got a stage IV cancer situation that he's not treating. We REALLY want him to finish and go take care of himself. So I think we'd have to find another carpenter to do the handles.

I could also wait and have someone rebuild these drawers so they won't interfere, but then I'll lose the symmetry with the drawers on the other side of the cooktop. It's in the corner of the ki tchen, behind the island, so it's not that visible, but this isn't my first choice.

Opinions??

Comments (11)