SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vickiehallmark

New Cabinets are Installed!

VickieHallmark
12 years ago

It's the second week of our remodel. Last week I detailed the tearout and electrical work in "Week One of a Kitchen Renovation." Today we went from

barren kitchen

to full cabinets installed.

Tomorrow the puck lights in the glass cabs, crown molding and toe kick go on. Friday the tile repairs and island are scheduled, and I get to chat with the granite guy before I disappear on Saturday for a week. I can't believe I should come back to countertops and installed appliances (DH is staying and supervising, with lots of photos, I hope)! The backsplash has to wait until I return.

I want to thank everyone for their recommendations on our design, even though we decided not to incorporate some of the better suggestions for various reasons. Moving the fridge to a different wall would probably have been a really good idea, but it brought its own issues. The island, although a barrier, just seemed to work better than a peninsula. Ultimately we decided to go with this less than perfect layout because it's similar enough to what we had before that we know it's not that bad. At least we made a knowledgeable decision.

We only have a few obvious bloopers:

1) The texture/paint that they did ahead of cab install didn't go all the way to the cabs in several areas, so there's a lot of touch up to do

2) The glass cabs were supposed to be painted inside. I was on the fence about that one, so I'm still undecided whether this is a real problem or not. Maybe if I want to put white pottery up there it is a blessing in disguise. Opinions?

3) The SS farmhouse sink cab cutout is an inch too low, made for a 10" sink, which this is. However, the apron is only 9". Oops! I think this is an opportunity for a drip rail accent.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville