SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Starting Soon!! New Kitchen Plan Review PLEASE!

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

Hey All,

I feel I've been MIA but it was a busy time with dance recitals, graduations, etc. I also took a small "breather" from all this to get a little rest. lol

Masonry/demo will start the end of this week or early next week for our 1950 Cape reno. The kitchen is 16x16. Here is my inspiration pic: We're doing yellow lowers white uppers, danby marble on perimeter and a white island with walnut top. Thinking of throwing in a bit of aqua (baking area lowers?) but that may be too much- we can discuss later : )

We did choose a PA cabinetmaker. We chose the one who works in my area 2-3 days a week and also with our GC as we thought it would just be more convenient. He seems wonderful so far. Very easy to deal with and quite helpful! Flush inset cabinets.

Anyway, here's our plan. I will be changing some things but this was his first go round.

Here are some things I need to "think" about.

*Hoping the way he has the island (with 15" overhang, cabinet and 12" storage will give us enough room for seating and walk space in between island and baking area. Island is 34" high with countertop (2" lower than normal)

*Wall 1 (below)

We're doing a counter height window. Also cabinetmaker put a valance over window that he said is on the wall but I may change this in case I want to put a fabric valance.

The appliance garage is for a TV. It leaves 2' of dish space to the right of the sink. I'm thinking I'd like to get rid of it but then I'd have to put the TV above the fridge. Only problem there is that I wanted the stainless trim kit for our Elux Icon counter depth fridge (it's only cosmetic) but with that there's no room above fridge for the TV! Would you keep the appliance garage for TV or ditch the fridge trim kit and gain the cab space above fridge.

Fridge with trim kit:

Also on this wall, I may remove the lower door cab and replace with drawers.

*I asked him about putting glass cabs along the top. I think that will look really nice for some decorative pieces. I can not reach up there anyway but wanted cabs to ceiling and no dust up there!

Wall2:

We actually will have an induction cooktop so I need to tell him that. Also he had spice pullouts on either side but I think I'll do spices in a drawer so we removed them. I don't know if I'm putting beadboard in the back of glass cabs yet.

There are super susans and the top corner is easy reach pie cut.

Wall 3 (Baking Area)

*Baking area has been lowered to 33" total and is 28" deep with countertop. The larger overhang on island and making the baking area deeper is why the aisle has shrunk a bit. Cabinet maker said there's plenty of room. What do you think?

We added some open cabinetry like my inspiration picture in this area. Again should I bead board the back? He also gave me a photo of how it would look if I move the pantry to the left so the baking area is centered. Looks great but I don't want to be closed in. I'll think about it. I'll also probably make the pantry a little wider buy he did it the same as the oven cabinets.

Island: Supposed to be 34" high total. I don't think he did that here.

I love the big drawers but have lots of "small stuff" to put here. Utensils, kitchen gadgets, and I want to do a spice drawer. Hoping there's enough small storage?

Seating side:

OK, thanks everyone! Anything you can add would be so greatly appreciated! : )

Comments (40)

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Fishies- Wow! Congratulations on starting your project! I'm so excited to see your new kitchen and I think most of your plan looks great. But, since you asked...I have a few suggestions.

I don't think you have room for stools at the island...at least not people sitting in the stools. I'd eliminate the 12" of cabinetry space and use beadboard on the back of the island, instead. It will look good with beadboard in your glass cabinets and you need that extra space behind the stools, IMHO.

Also, I don't like the appliance garage...it doesn't work with your symmetry and you're losing counterspace between the fridge and sink. If you really want a TV, I'd put it over the fridge. Can you see it up there, or is it to watch from the stools?

As for colors...what are you painting the pantry and oven cabinets? Are they yellow or white? I think with the island, all the glass doors, the beadboard, etc. you might want to think about a lighter yellow upper, rather than white. Did 'our' tiles make the cut, for the backsplash? LOL If so, they will look wonderful...and I think the aqua would be better as an accent. You'll have a lot of options with fabrics, dishes, etc...so I'd keep it in those spaces. Hope that helps :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks lavender for your quick response!

How much space do you think I should have for seating? In my older plans I had 54". Keep in mind the 43.5" cab to cab he has are in the spots that are bumped out so in some areas there will be a little more space.
    I like having the storage in the back of the island, but maybe I can take off a couple inches and change overhang to 14 instead of 15. Also, wondering if the 3" I added to baking area depth is necessary? I thought it would be nice & someone recommended it once but I may need that 3" for walkway.

I agree about the appliance garage. I may have to put TV over fridge and lose the trim kit. ORAs far as the color of pantry and oven cabs I had two ideas... First, I was thinking of carrying the yellow up there so that any spot the yellow base was connected to an upper the yellow would go up as well.
    The second idea (if I was worried about too much yellow) was to just do the yellow lowers and for the pantry, ovens, and fridge sides and upper do all white.
    *I'm not sure what you were getting at in your post. If you think there's too much white or yellow? lol OR, get rid of white uppers and do yellow lowers with a lighter yellow upper everywhere? The white I'm planning to use is BM Mascarpone and does have yellow in it.

I so loved shkish's aqua island that I was dying to use some but I can see it may not work...

YES! Still want to use "our tile". I'm hoping If I put beadboard in the back of the cabs it won't be "too much" with the tile.

• Related Discussions

New and learning - please review my compost bin plans

Q

Comments (4)
    Depending on whether the black stuff you found under the pile was on top of the soil, or was the soil (this can be hard to tell, especially at the transition point), it was either compost, or soil that had been enriched by the forming compost. Either way, it's good stuff, and yes, you could use it. I think the vinyl lattice bin should work just fine, and as you noticed, worms will find their way to the pile. As you noticed with your random pile-o'-stuff, things do like to rot, even without attention!
    ...See More

please review my sfg plan, new to sfg

Q

Comments (10)
    Yes corn should be planted in blocks, the NW corner would work well. The remaining tall plants should be on the north side too, including those you will trellis (cukes or other vines). The 3 sisters scheme referred to a vining (usu. winter) squash to climb the corn. My summer (yellow) squash, has huge leaves and takes up a 4x4ft box when its happy. I have squeezed 2 plants (6in. apart) in a 4x4. I wouldn't put squash on the N side, tho I have had it get 3ft high. Certainly it would provide shade for a smaller plant, but usu. stifles anything under it. You might try radishes, lettuce, or spinach will would be done before the squash shades everything. Read up on the Squash Vine Borer (SVB) so you know what is happening when the squash suddenly dies.
    ...See More

starting over (ugh) please critique new plan

Q

Comments (32)
    (I think that some may not realize your exterior is mirrored to your floorplan, at least I think so--it isn't a direct match either way though, as I look at it more closely). LL's interior changes are better. So are yours--with the change of stair. I'm just not sure if that stair actually will work in the space (someone like Renovator will need to count them and tell you). But, you still have 3 ways to get from back hall to other places in the house: back hall, pantry, kitchen, out back hall, past fridge, past island stools, past dining chairs and out back hall, closet, utility, foyer, out. It is very circuitous. And, the most cramped option is probably the intended option (past fridge, past stools, past dining table). Just my observation.
    ...See More

Kitchen gurus, please review new construction kitchen layout

Q

Comments (33)
    OK here's another suggestion without changing out the front windows. I do love that large window and I think it will help with light into the kitchen. I extended the foyer wall and moved the stove to that wall. I moved the opening from the hallway up a bit and added the fridge there with about 3" of room on the end so the fridge door opens. The sink is in the same place it was. Didn't move it. Moved the dishwasher to between the sink and the fridge. Shortened the island. It's now 6' long and will seat 3 comfortably. Moved the prep sink over a bit so you can put things on the end of the island before washing. So now you have two excellent spaces for prepping food. Or if it were me, I'd probably ditch the prep sink on the island and leave the island "bare" and instead get a large prep sink like the Kohler Prolific. It's about 45" long and if you put two faucets on it, 2 people can work at it at the same time. BTW: You can also get a dining table that is wider than 36".
    ...See More
  • herbflavor
    11 years ago

To remedy the risk of issues with seating clearance at the island,I would reduce the extra depth at the baking counter base-keep it standard. I rather like the island with it's kind of massiveness. The baking you think will occurr at the wall counter actually will migrate over to the island-just tuck the stools under and good to go-why not-it's a great spot for a baking session.The baking wall on the left in all likelihood will morph into general landing area/secondary baking-keep it standard depth....will that allow the configuration you have at the island? You could actually reduce the 12 in cabs to 9 or so-with still good storage value as opposed to no cabs....then you gain a few more inches in the aisle. Once the eye gets used to the visual of the chunky island it has a good appeal because it is ultimately the best spot in the kitchen-I'd do a hanging light fixture of some type over it...be sure and get stools that tuck under. Just get the aisle corrected without shrinking the island too much-keep it's scale- and reduce scale over on the left[less visual competition as well] Nice kitchen.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

herbflavor- Thanks for your response : ) Yes, most of what you said I was toying with so thanks for confirming my ideas. I'll see how much of a difference it will make for seating. Is there a "number" for that aisle I should aim for?

Fishies

• rosie
    11 years ago

It's looking gorgeous! I can't wait for the pictures.

Really, I'd lose the upper part of the trim kit and put the TV there. The refrigerator will have a nice built-in look with the other pieces and doesn't need that extra height at all. Plus, your look is not commercial and isn't advanced by it. Plus, to me all the mass gathered on that side does seem to be looming over the sink area a bit.

Height of glass cabs on top--have you decided yet on the items you'll display there so you know ahead of time that the cabinets are a workable height and the items on display nicely scaled?

I'd suggest passing on the pastel aqua baking center for now, later always an option. It's very pretty but would take the kitchen in a whole different direction and feel. After all, LavenderLass has posted a number of pictures with mixtures of colors and none of them has replaced your original inspiration picture--one harmonious sweep of warm whites and yellows for the whole, a little stainless to cut the sugar, accents mostly in same color range but all rather small and bright. Not that you are copying that religiously, of course, but the pastel aqua at this point seems more like a typical distracting "find," a new, different love to try to fit in somehow.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I'd include the valance over the window. You can always add a fabric valance underneath it. The look is pretty and traditional, a bit trend-defying, less modern and suits your house.

Do try to restrain yourself with the beadboard a bit.

I don't think I'd center the baking center. I like it open at the end and think it offers more functional flexibility that way.

Yes, put the TV over the fridge. I dislike the appliance garage as well as those super skinny cabs over the fridge with the trim kit.

I think the aqua island is cute and fits your house. You could go either way. Just make sure you have a backup colorway plan for all your fabrics and such.

You would really need about 65" between the island and baking center to put stools on the island, because it's a traffic path.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rosie- Thanks! I like your thoughts! I do love the aqua with the marble but it may be what you said, trying to fit in something. We will have little wall space so maybe I could even use that paint color as an accent.

marcolo- Thanks for your post! Yes, I think a valance too. He has it against the wall but I could do it out in front, so that I could put a fabric valance behind. I can add some pretty cutouts in it, right? (I keep thinking: cute, feminine)

Glad you agree about baking center. It looks symmetrical however loses the openness like you said.

Yes, I think I will get rid of appliance garage and do TV over fridge.

IF I use aqua, would I do the baking center or the island? (you had said island)
    The only thing is I like the aqua with a marble top and we planned walnut for the island. I've considered switching but like the warmth of the wood and also it's actually less expensive.

OH, assuming no aqua cabinetry, what would you recommend as far as the below?

"As far as the color of pantry and oven cabs I had two ideas... First, I was thinking of carrying the yellow up there so that any spot the yellow base was connected to an upper the yellow would go up as well.
    The second idea (if I was worried about too much yellow) was to just do the yellow lowers and for the pantry, ovens, and fridge sides and upper do all white."

I won't get 65" but I'll see what I can do.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

By the way, for those of you who missed it, I got rid of the black/gray/yellow bird fabric with coordinating black/yellow fabrics. Here is my new direction. I think much "cuter" and will work better with my existing color scheme in living room which is aqua/brown/gold.

I still am choosing a yellow. I now have huge squares painted on my cabs being they will be ripped out soon. Here are the 3 paper swatches (above) behind the items. Also the drawers are painted. The left drawer is the same color as the center square (Hawthorne Yellow) and the drawer on the right is the same as the swatch on the right (Traditional Yellow). I'm going to take pics at various times of day b/c it's crazy how much they differ. Hard by a picture but off the bat any thoughts on the 3 colors here? I am painting bigger areas today and will take a photo...

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think the drawer on the right is a bit warmer- has more peach. I love Hawthorne Yellow (left) but am worried it's not warm enough and has a slight green look to it? Against other yellows it is very warm (not too lemony) but I can only look at it as it is by itself. It reads more yellow that Traditional Yellow but I think the Trad Yellow would definitely read yellow on it's own.

• User
    11 years ago

If it were my kitchen I would remove the 12 inch storage to make the island less deep.

• User
    11 years ago

Darn, didn't mean to submit so quickly. Other things to consider- will you really store silverware above the trash or are those dividers for something else? How much space is left between the cabinets and the windows? In the diagram the cabinet light molding appears to crowd the window molding but maybe this is a misrepresentation. As for spacing around an island, what I have found is that the minimum standard spacing still makes my kitchen feel a bit crowded when there is more than one person in the room. If you eliminate the 12 inch cabinet and shift the island back towards the baking center a couple of inches then you will have slightly larger aisles and a much roomer feeling kitchen.

• pawa
    11 years ago

I like your new direction! It is cute and cottagey :-) It's going to look fabulous.

Just some quick thoughts:

The island is such a large expanse, that you kitchen would become 1/3 aqua, 1/3 yellow, 1/3 white (very pastel-y, and actually, pretty 50's). For me, I think it would be pastel overload.

Imagine this kitchen with yellow cabinetry and a wood floor:

I would play it safe and just paint the door. You could even do a vibrant teal on it, but soft aqua would also work, IMO.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pawa- I agree- very 50's. I have some pics that lean in that direction but I decided that may be too much and not where I want to go.

"I would play it safe and just paint the door."
    What door are you talking about?

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Fishies- I love the new accessories! Very cottage-y and a much better fit for your home :)

If you wanted to use a light blue, I think it would work better with your new color scheme. The aqua (at least on my monitor) looks a little too green.

I was asking if you were going to have pale yellow upper cabinets, instead of the white. White is fine, but depending on what color you paint your pantry and wall oven cabinets...you might not see as much yellow as you would like.

I think a pale yellow, pale blue and white might look nice together, too...as Pawa suggests. Maybe a white hood and beadboard (if you use it) in the glass uppers, but the frames could be light yellow.

If you did paint the island light blue (which would look really cute) but don't want a marble top...could you use a lighter wood? Maybe more of a light honey colored maple? Just an idea :)

• pawa
    11 years ago

re: bringing the yellow up.
    My inclination would be to say, yes, but just make sure that the 'white' you're using is quite close in tone to the yellow you're using.

Here is my fireplace surround with a not-very-soft yellow. The yellow is toned down (IMO) through the use of beige trim:

• pawa
    11 years ago

It looks like there's a door to the outside in one of your pictures, so that's what I was referring to. :-)

• Heather31383
    11 years ago

Hello,
    Might be a little late in the game but here are some of my thoughts�

-Love the Yellow base option with the white walls, and also keep the tall units (oven, frig surround) in the white as it will ground the white to the floor. Will that paint be clean or will you have rub through to the wood (this could marry the wood island top to the perimeter cabinets, but might not be a look that you would like to take on). And add a little yellow trim in the crown to bring a color accent up to the ceiling.

-I like the molding over the window as it creates a bridge between the cabinetry on either side of the window. My recommendation would be to either leave it as it is and embrace the fact to you can still use a fabric valance with the architectural detail behind or bring out the bridge to be 9" depth. This would give more character to the movement of the crown and also provide balance for the valance to be under.

-Lose the appliance garage and most clients complain about them down the road because they eat up counter space. Lose the fridge trim above the fridge and instead put your TV as suggested (however measure up 72" on a wall with blue painters tape as this will be around the top of your fridge and stare at it as this is how your neck will feel...) make sure that is not to high before making that leap.. I also like the glass cabinet above if it will still fit with the TV, and I would actually make the cabinet 12" (but made to look frig depth) so that you do not end up with a black hole behind the glass.

-I would suggest keeping the baking wall standard depth with countertop over hang to be 26". Making that space with increased depth only creates more problems and costs more money. One thought that came to mind when looking at this area would be to make the breadboard on the center cabinet Aqua with rub through to white adding a little accent and fun to the wall, and then possibly making the island the Aqua color with a rub through to white again. This will soften the color and marry the spaces.
    -the island overhang is a little excessive at 15". We typically tell clients that a 9" would be the minimal but could be a knee knocker vs. a 12" being perfect. At 12" it is industry standard and you would not need the corbels if you wanted to leave the space clean or select smaller ones. I do like the 12" cabinets under the island as you can never have too much storage, also it will give the area more of a furniture look vs breadboard. In some of the island pictures there appears to be a small valance that trims the countertop edge underneath. I would recommend losing it as you have already shortened the height of the island and this would create only more of a challenge for finding stools that will fit comfortably. Also it becomes one accent too many.

I had a client recently that had combined Cherry Cabinets with also Yellow and Teal. And then Soapstone counters on the perimeter, with Blue Louise granite on the island. Sounds like an odd combo but looked fantastic as it definitely captured her fun, eclectic, rustic personality.

Good Luck and I hope to see finished Pics!

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Thoughts -
    Lose the appliance garage and put the TV above the fridge. The fridge trimkit is much too contemporary looking for a cottagey kitchen. I prefer the openness of counter space in your kitchen.

I like the idea of glass uppers as again lends itself to a more cottagey feel and gives you the opportunity to personalize the space with some of your loved pieces. There has been some discussion about losing the aqua-coloured island and having the glass uppers would allow you an easy way of bringing in that colour through accessories.

If you change that lower cupboard on the sink wall to drawers you will get some more "small" storage that you were concerned about. (I have one lower cupboard in my kitchen - that is fortunately only 16" wide - it has a phone book in it.)

Watch the beadboard - someone else commented on it as well, be careful about putting to much of it in the kitchen. It can be a nice accent but you don't want to overwhelm the space with it. Beadboard, because of it's narrow strips, can come across has been quite a fussy accent. If you do the upper glass cabinets - maybe put it there has a backdrop for your display things and don't put it anywhere else. Just a thought. You already have your marble which I Think will be the star and you can only have one star and everything else should be the backdrop to it.

Are your aisle measurements that you have given cabinet-to-cabinet or counter-to-counter? If they are cabinet-to-cabinet you will lose 2-3" when including the counters in your aisle width. I would make your baking counter normal depth rather than 28". I think you'll need the aisle width.

Is the seating at your island for eating or just for propping there talking to the cook? That can dictate how deep your overhang should be. If it's just for casual propping while talking to the cook you may be able to get away with a 12" overhang. For eating that would be too shallow.

• ghostlyvision
    11 years ago

I really love your new fabric and accessory direction, you're going to have the cutest kitchen, Fishies!

• babushka_cat
    11 years ago

hi fishies,

one lesson i learned with my marble is to spend plenty of time in advance selecting paint colors and related items. your marble is very grey, seems cool to me. your yellows are very warm. that may be fine, just something to be aware of and consider.

i found selecting colors for marble very hard!!!!

• rosie
    11 years ago

Sorry, I didn't realize you already had made a definitive change to yellow and that lovely aqua. It is very pretty. On my screen (which I do not trust at all), the yellow in that fabric is looking more toward the amber/cornsilk/Naples yellow side of the spectrum, also the thread and bowl to the left. I personally would be inclined to go that soft warm direction for the large light yellow surfaces, with lemon and sunshine yellows also there, but in accessories like those shown.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the responses! I have a lot of responses to get together but quickly-

rosie- No, it's fine : ) I am basically doing the inspiration kitchen but decided to throw in bits of aqua/blue and I loved that fabric (more cottagey than my previous black/gray ones and I love the colors in it. At one point I considered going further in that direction (I found some great photos) but it definitely had a 50s vibe that I thought one might tire of too soon.

I think this way it's still the way you described "one harmonious sweep of warm whites and yellows for the whole, a little stainless to cut the sugar, accents mostly in same color range but all rather small and bright"...
    *with a bit of aqua accents just for some pop. It's a challenge not going off in other directions during the planning- as you find things you love : )

My previous fabrics also had too much going on and were too different from my living room: I still love them though : )

Now, I'm going for this:

So are you saying from what you can see you like the drawer on the right which is a bit warmer (170 Traditional Yellow)? I think the one on the left (Hawthorne Yellow) is somewhat warm as well when I put it next to other lemon yellows (BM strip 30, 31, 32). But, not nearly as warm as BM strips 34-38) which ends in cornsilk, america's heartland, barley, and vellum which start to get beigey. Barley is one I'm looking at as well. The two above it on the strip are just too light.

Most of you know these yellow have been making me crazy for months and in my kitchen they change all day long. Even the same color I paint looks different on the upper cabinet compared to what's on the lower!
    Also I get a lot of sun and everything washes out easily. Just a note that we aren't painting them but a custom cabinetry maker is color matching with whatever they use (spray lacquer) not actually paint.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

You are already stealing my overall color scheme, and now you are stealing my ball-fringe curtains?

It all looks great. As LL said, make sure not to go too "green" with your aquas. You want a blue on the aqua end of blue (as opposed to the purple end) but not quite as green as that island.

Can't help you on the yellow yet. I went through 400 yellows looking for that classic colonial yellow for my LR and then finally picked one almost at random. Before the paint went up I googled the name again, and found it is usually used for nurseries and mental hospitals. However, to my surprise, even though I loathe the color on the chip (too pink) it was perfect in my LR light. So there.

Yup, Hawthorne is a little gold-green, but that doesn't make your decision any easier.

Actually, to make it worse, you could go back to the paint store for the new Color Stories yellow chips.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HA! MARCOLO--- I didn't even know you were doing ball-fringe! AND, I remember I didn't know about your yellow until you told me my kitchen was your kitchen's bizarro world twin! (wasn't sure how to take that : )

I think we're both getting the Thermador mirrored induction, too?

Good luck with your yellows. I now have some SW ones and I'll see where that takes me. My husband thinks I'm really out of my mind. AND, these colors I'm down to are quite saturated on the swatch but with the light of my kitchen right now they look practically white! I showed my husband the swatches in the living room and he couldn't believe they were the same colors that are in my kitchen right now. Maybe I should go even more saturated? Here it is right now: Looking at this picture it's weird that the paper swatches which are higher look quite different than the painted cabs (3 coats!)

• natebear zone 10B
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see your kitchen, 2LittleFishies! The ball-fringe curtains are so charming. My two cents-I'm liking the Hawthorne Yellow best.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

If you have that much natural light, I'd try matching the little yellow bowl on the left, in your accessory picture. With yellow on the bottom cabinets and white on top, I think you'll like the contrast...and that blue (lid?) is the color I would choose for the island. It's a cheerful blue and looks great with your yellow bowl and your fabrics...and the other blues! :)

Did you already get the walnut or is it possible to maybe switch to a lighter maple/honey color for the island countertop?

Have fun and it's looking great!

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Actually, a darker stain like a walnut looks great with that turquiose type of color. Don't ask me how I know this.

The mirrored induction will make a return only if my expansion plans prove too big-budget to swallow no matter how many bottles of rose' I gulp down.

The Hawthorne looks better on the painted drawers than the other.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, natebear!

lavender- Yes, I think I may need a more saturated yellow. I really want it to look YELLOW like my inspiration picture... The problem will be that once the sun goes down (like right now) and the kitchen lights are on (lights will be different of course) I don't want the yellow to be crazy. I went through my 300 8x8 and 5x9 BM yellow swatches and sat on the floor in that sunlight and tried to find some alternatives and only came up with two. That's b/c all my colors were the 2nd and 3rd on the strip so they were all basically the same problem. I did find two that were better but they may be over the top. Here is the kitchen with no sunlight with lights on. There's a big difference from earlier in the day if you scroll up.

Here's the 2 new paper swatches hanging- Lemon Drops & Yellow Lotus (right)

I do have a promising little swatch called Solaria by Sherwin Williams. I'm thinking it could be the one. I'll buy some tomorrow : )

lavender- I thought the consensus was to leave the island white and forget about the aqua. lol If I did aqua I was thinking about the baking center but maybe not. No, I didn't choose the walnut yet but I really want to use it. I know it would look good b/c in my LR I have little aqua tables with dark tops (though not walnut0 and they are great. I just liked the look of the aqua with marble on it. Then again, I like EVERYTHING better with marble on it!!!

I agree the blue bird on the sugar bowl is great. Actually that butter dish top is less green in person. At the store some of the aqua bowls were definitely too green (brought fabric with me) but the stuff I did buy I think goes well especially since they won't be on top of the fabric.

marcolo- I agree that although there were times today I liked the Traditional Yellow it's just not right and right now looks peach. The Hawthorne is better but I still don't love it as much as I do the swatch... in other rooms other than my kitchen. It just doesn't make me say, "Oh! What a gorgeous color!" (again, in my room).

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rosie- as far as the glass cabs along the top, no, I don't know what's going there yet. (I'll have to go shopping!) I'm pretty sure they are 10" high inside. Do you think items in there will be seen well? I assume we'd light those cabinets. Perhaps we should paint the backs one of our colors?

athomeinva- thanks for your posts! I'm not sure about around the window. Actually we are doing a counter height window there (Picture surrounded by casements) that will be bumped out 8" so I'm not sure what goes around there yet.
    Above the trash, I don't know what that will be yet. He just put silverware, but that's for the island. I may do a paper towel holder there if there's room.

Pawa's picture of the aqua island and then imagining yellow lowers with it just isn't where I want to go, which is why Pawa posted it. I think if it were a small piece in that color it would work but not a 9' island.

pawa- yes the white I planned to use has a touch of yellow in it. On the BM site under Hawthorne Yellow it actually has mascarpone as a similar color even though they are worlds apart. I can't really choose a white until I get my yellow base cabs under control : )

heather- Thanks for your post! The cabs are being done from scratch and not hand painted. Yes, if we remove app garage and put tv above fridge the glass cab will still fit if I'm not mistaken. What did you mean: "I would actually make the cabinet 12" (but made to look frig depth) so that you do not end up with a black hole behind the glass." For all the glass cabs, or just the one over fridge. Sorry I missed your point there.
    "In some of the island pictures there appears to be a small valance that trims the countertop edge underneath. " I don't see that in the photos?

blfenton- Thanks so much for your great thoughts : ) Excellent points.
    Were you suggesting to only put the beadboard in those glass uppers surrounding the hood? What about the glass cabinets around the entire kitchen at the ceiling? I guess no one will see those backs?? Should I paint them a color perhaps or will that get lost. I suppose with lights you would see the backs, right? Also, for the open shelving at the baking center I'm not sure what to put behind there? Just leave it plain or beadboard or maybe paint other than white?

The island will be for eating even though there will be a table close by. I think the island will end up being breakfast/lunch and the table dinner.

ghostlyvision- thanks!

babushka- thanks for that thought. I haven't chosen my slab yet so we'll see. The imperial danby does have gray but also gold/caramel as well.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Fishies- I wouldn't call that butter dish aqua...it looks blue to me with maybe a hint of turquoise. My mom calls that morning glory blue, if it's showing up correctly on my monitor.

And...aren't there lights that duplicate sunlight and will give you more of a 'true' color for your yellow?

Marcolo- You have a good point about the walnut. With the right color blue, my mom would call that Siamese cat colors...she's used the beige, brown and soft turquoise blue together in rooms before...and it is beautiful :)

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lavender- yes! Butter dish is definitely turquoise! I just read your post again and I thought you were saying my accessories were too green but I think you were saying the island I posted was too green! That's why I was trying to say it (the butter dish) wasn't green. lol

What do you mean about the lights? You mean the new lights we buy for the kitchen or lights to help us choose a color. Sorry, long day.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, I submitted all my requests to cabinet maker and now our aisle behind the island should go from 41.5" to 50" . Hopefully that will work. That was with making baking center standard depth, making overhang 14" and making back of island storage 10" instead of 12".

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Regarding color, I've been painting more and had my Mom and the decorator over yesterday staring at my colors. We all agreed that the ones we thought would work were washed out and didn't seem yellow enough in my kitchen. We we went through another 12-15 large swatches- trying for nothing too peachy nor too mustard-y!

Keeping in mind that the same color looks different 3' away from each other... and these pics were taken at night. During the day with natural sunlight the colors aren't as saturated...

The left drawer AND door are still Hawthorne Yellow. The right drawer is Little Angel 318 and below that is SW Solaria which is NOT an option. I'm really liking Little Angel but need to look at it for a few days in various lighting.
    (The big swatch painted on the bottom left is also Little Angel)

Here is Hawthorne Yellow (left) and Little Angel (right) in all pics...

With Mascarpone in the middle-- a yellow based white...

This one is reverse Hawthorne (right) Little Angel (left)

What do you think? (knowing that online colors are difficult...)

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Little Angel...the one to the left of the picture...beautiful :)

On my monitor, it would be the perfect yellow. I like it a lot better than the more faded yellows. This one is sunshine, but not gold. Very pretty!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, lavender! I think it may be "the one"! ha

I hope it's not too bright but anything lighter or more beige just isn't doing it for me. I think I was trying to be very conservative in choosing a color b/c of all the yellow warnings I kept reading... however in my space those colors just weren't working.
    Hawthorne Yellow (on the left in almost all the pics looks very yellow in other's photos (hlove and spider's) but it just doesn't look the same in my kitchen. i guess that what matters! lol

Crossing my finger's that when there's more of it along all the base cabs I'll be happy! : )

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I have 2 other yellows for you to try, both Ben Moore. They may look great or awful in your kitchen, and I've only seen the 4" swatches so far:

From Color Stories--Yellow Topaz CSP-945

Country Comfort 305

I also brought home a big swatch of Golden Honey (forgot the number). It's pretty close to the exterior color of my house, but an exterior is different from an enclosed room. Anyway, in some lights it looks good, at other times it's way too bright. You could check it out in your space, too.

Your Mascarpone looks WAY too pink to me.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

marcolo- Thanks! I have golden honey and it's a bit too peachy. I'm looking at little angel 318 like I said but also squish squash 311 which has more orange in it but less than golden honey.

I ordered Country Comfort large swatches just now... I couldn't order the yellow topaz swatches online maybe b/c they are Color Stories.

You said that about Mascarpone last time : ) I don't see it, but could be wrong. I think it's better in person. I called BM and he first said all he sees is yellow but then said there were a couple of drops of R-1 which is red oxide. Also a drop of gray.

The other two whites I was looking at were Mountain Peak White but I think that's more pink. The other is cotton balls but I don't like it as much.
    I'll check through my whites again.

BTW, how does the cabinet maker match these colors? From a swatch? Or, from the paint formula? Do you know? I know they don't actually paint the color.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just realized I have country comfort and it's too orange.

So, the other whites are OC-121 mountain peak white which has no red-- only yellow and gray. The most yellow of the group. and I thought it looked pink!

And, Cotton balls which is yellow, yellow oxide, and gray. He said it's the most gray of the 3.

kill me now.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I have a big squish squash chip in the basement. I'll take a look.

Sundress is another possibility from Color Stories.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, Little Angel is out. Although it looked good that one time , i put it on the other side of the kitchen where it's darker and it was like electric yellow! Just too much.

I'm down to squish squash 311 and hay stack 317 which is one step up from little angel. It's very nice.

I'm ready to commit myself. I really wanted to cry yesterday and switch to a white kitchen. I think I'm getting close though. Just have to stare at these 2 for a few days.