SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

Oh rats... my beautiful layout has to change.

remodelfla
15 years ago

I had gotten so much help from rhome and others that culminated in an awesome layout with 9' opposing islands creating a wonderful open layout that I loved. Today my DH tells me I can't remove a 5' wall at the south west end of the kitchen that he had told me prior (3x) that I could. Apparently, he didn't realize or according to him... I might not have been clear enough specifying which 5' section I needed to eliminate to create a pathway so the islands would work. I mean, he looked at the layout at least 3 different times. Anyway... I can't take out that section of wall because of the air handler and other room issues. My architect today confirmed it. I thought I'd have to start from square one but think I came up with something similar albeit tweaked; that could work. For those who have followed my layout evolution, you'll know what I'm referring to.

Here's a pic of the basic layout rhome (and others) helped me arrive out with the 5' section of wall gone. You can see it allows a pathway entering the kitchen on the left side:

If I put that wall back in there would be no room to pass. So... I shortened each island to 6' instead of 9' and moved them up some. I put back the 5' wall on the southwest end and added 3' storage. I was thinking of also adding 12" deep floor to ceiling shelves along that piece of wall on the end. I had to lose the 18" deep overhang off the cooking island and instead put a "coffee bar/computer center on the left side where the offset is just above the pantry door. Here it is:

Friends.... whaddaya think?

The architect took exact measurements today and is suppose to email me some elevations tomorrow. You should see the awesome layout he came up with for my bed/bath extension... it's AWESOME!! I'm going to email him this and hope it'll work or some close facsimile. Funny... he told me he' never had a client who came up with and emailed him layouts before.

Comments (6)