SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ma_bookreader

single or double sink question - would like opinions

ma-bookreader
15 years ago

The kithen renovation has begun. So many decisions - my head hurts already!

One decision that I have really been mulling over is whether to have a double sink or a large single sink. For so long I have had a regular double sink (each side is the same size) and I hate it! I always thought that when we did the renovation, I'd just buy one large bowl sink. Well, now I see that there are new double sinks on the market that divide the space quite differently. (3/4 and 1/4)

I am specifically looking at these 2 sinks:

S105DR Ticor Undermount Sink

S112 Ticor Undermount Sink

Here is my dilemma.

I like to use an insinkerator. With a double sink, I would have one side for the insinkerator (the smaller side) and the other side would be used differently (maybe I'd have a pot soaking in it). If I have one large sink, it seems that the food scraps might get all over the sink (they'd eventually end up in the insinkerator) and it would be hard to have a 'clean' spot and a 'working' spot. I'm having a hard time explaining myself here.

The sink grates seem like a great idea. I've never had them (in truth, I never knew such a thing existed!). I can envision them working well if I get the S105DR (double sink). When I want to say peel potatoes and put the scraps down the insinkerator, I'd just pull up the grate in the small sink and put the scraps in the sink.

How would this work with a single basin sink? It seems to me that the grate will be in the way. Is the grate as beneficial when you have one large sink? Does it get in the way. It seems that it is so large that it would be a pain to have to take out of the sink everytime you need to clean the sink. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

I'd appreiciate hearing other opinions on this.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (18)