SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donka_gw

Q re. Island/tables, table skirts, seating, contractors boo boos

donka
14 years ago

Hi folks,

Is there anyone out there who's done the island/table combo? Like this: (sorry if this is your kitchen, I don't know who or where I got this pic from, but I like it!)

I showed my contractor this pic and a couple others and asked him to build me a 'table' to attach to my island cabinets. He seemed really concerned about the weight of the stone and what I ended up with is, I think, super duper ultra reinforced. He made the table skirt (I think that's what it's called) 5.5".

So, with the total height at 35" (before stone) minus 5.5" for skirt, we're left with 29.5". A typical counter height chair has a seat height of 25" or so. So, we have 4.5" left for our legs to fit under the table. Needless to say, that is not a lot. I can *barely* get my legs underneath, and the fiance can't at all.

Anyhow, I guess the question is, what should the skirt height be to both support the weight of the soapstone, and allow us to actually sit at the table? I want a 2" skirt, the contractor seems appalled by that notion, thinking the stone will somehow bend and break.

The soapstone people told me just the legs at the end would be fine because it's 3cm thick and it's not going to break under normal use.

Argh! Who do I believe? Hope there's a stone expert out there willing to chime in.

Here's a really rough sketch of how I want it:

Comments (31)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!