SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gena_hooper

Lead paint, funky countertop, vintage house worries

Gena Hooper
14 years ago

We just moved into our 1935 Colonial after a cross-country move. I'd posted earlier about remodel ideas and planned to follow folks' suggestion to live in the kitchen for awhile. Unfortunately, as I was unpacking in the kitchen, I noticed that the paint inside the cabinets/drawers is peeling and flaking. I'm very concerned about lead paint because we have three young children. I know there are home kits for testing lead, but I'd heard concerns about the reliability. The kitchen also doesn't function well with drawers running into each other at the blind corner. The countertop is an odd, dilapidated material with what almost seems like cardboard inset into rims of rusted metal and more metal strips where the counter joins the wall.

I posted some photos in my blog:

http://bluebonnetinbeantown.blogspot.com/

So...what is the risk of lead paint? What is this bizarre counter? I hesitate to dive into an involved kitchen remodel. For the past six months, we've been working intensely to prepare/stage/sell our old home, research new towns, buy a home, and move. I'd love to take some time to get to know this area, relax a bit, and enjoy my kids. But then again, I already absolutely hate this kitchen! If there were actually shelves in the base cabinets and if the drawers worked and if the paint wasn't actually dangerous, the storage space would be sufficient. I don't know about how the space functions because we haven't really used the kitchen yet.

Sorry if this post meanders. I guess I'm thinking out loud and wondering what you would do in this position. I'm sort of feeling stuck at the moment. Well...back to unpacking boxes. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Comments (19)