SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_4323755

sandyponder's unfitted, funky, budget kitchen

User
13 years ago

Hi All-

It's hard to believe, but we're kinds, sorta finished with our unfitted, budget, funky and colorful k itchen. To give you a little background, this is a new build (well, new 3 years ago), and we purposefully didn't finish the kitchen, we knew we wanted unfitted and colorful, and the rest came together using showroom displays purchased on the cheap, items from CL, recycled cab doors from a previous h ouse and other bargain items.

We still have some trim to do, a few paint issues to clean up and a whole lot more stuff to hang up, but it's as done as it's going to get till the snow flies again, so I thought I would post it now.

If I have offered too much detail, I apologize, I'm not sure of the proper tone to strike (since it's obviously controversial). If you have questions, let me know, I'll try to answer them.

sandyponder

Here are the details:

Range area:

36" propane Garland with griddle (found in the dark corner of an appliance store, I think it's circa 1990 or so). Cabs on either side of the range, custom built by contractor, painted C2 Amontillado, counters are honed Vermont slate in a splotchy green and purple pattern (former tile store display, bought 'em for $20/each).

Range hood is a CL find, a 1967, 900 cfm, Broan "Chuckwagon" unit, painted Amontillado. Green cab to the right of the range was bought at an RH outlet sale, I painted it BM Medieval Times, then lacquered it, inside is BM Bainbridge Blue. It h ouses the oils and vinegars.

Sink area:

HD Pegasus 33" sink, KWC faucet (bought at an auction for $10!) Counters are old bowling alley sanded, oiled with Bush Oil, stained Heart Pine and finished with Epifanes, a marine grade finish. Counters are trimmed in locally harvested black walnut.

Sink cabs are painted BM Bainbridge Blue, semi gloss, contractor build the boxes and we used cab fronts left from a previous remodel. Lights over the sink were bought at an auction, $15/each. I sprayed them black, they were a depressing brown.

Cab to the far right was bought at a local tile place ($20), and was lacking a front for the top drawer. Contractor made one and it looks great.

DW is a Kitchen Aid scratch 'n dent.

Stainless table is from John Boos (via HomeGoods). Light over the stainless table is from PB, it's going to be replaced when I can find a nice vintage one.

All cab hardware is from Van Dyke's Restorers bargain closeout area, and is a mixed bag; glass, black, iron, ORB, whatever struck my fancy.

Trim color is American Accents glossy black ($1 quart from our local dollar store, it was cheap, but American Accents, you're no Aura, it took 4 coats).

Wall color was custom mixed by YT.

Hutch is a Wood Mode display we bought at a local kitchen place. It was painted the most depressing gray (I know it's in, but I detest gray), colors are all custom (mixing and matching all that $1/quart paint I bought).

Under window Bainbridge Blue cab is from a tile store, it had a marble top that broke, so we bought the base only. The cherry cab to the right is a Kraftmaid double trash pull out, bought for $60 on CL (*love* the trash pull outs). Glass pendant lights were bought at a local lighting place, on the, you guessed it, sale table.

Kitchen table is a CL find, vintage Thomasville, chandelier is solid brass, from a hotel in Cortland, NY, bought on CL.

Message center is a rescued metal table.

Here are a few overall room shots:

Hutch:

Under window cab:

Sink run:

Range:

Message center:

Comments (67)