SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eric_freedman6392

New Member and New Kitchen

Eric Freedman
10 years ago

Just want to say this site is fantastic. I am a long time lurker, first time poster.

After getting some sticker shock pricing for our kitchen cabinets, I decided to build them myself. Wound up still being a small fortune even with building the boxes. No thanks to this site, lol - you guys have great taste in appliances. I followed suit - Rachiele sink (love it), Capital Range top, Imperial hood insert and Electrolux ovens.

So, now I am down to finish. We have decided to have them painted. Looking at a swiss coffee or Vermont cream (behr color but not tied to behr paint). I have a few flubs that I would rather have covered by paint than a stained finish. We have all sorts of pricing and options. My head is spinning, lol. I have one finisher swearing by his conversion finish. Most of the rest are 1-2 coats of primer and 2 coats of acrylic enamel. I am thinking about not doing the conversion lacquer - looks like it comes with lots of fumes and would hard to diy on any sort of touch up-that and the guy was very pushy.

For those of you who have had your kitchen painted - how is it holding up over time. Have you had to do much touch up? How many coats were originally done (the quotes I am getting are one coat prime and two coats semi gloss) Any other considerations?

Bad cell phone pic is attached. I will figure out how to post some nicer pics that I can share once done.

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

Eric

Comments (15)