SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coastal_modern_love

I am in a state of shock and fury!!! Floor disaster...

For three months I have been contemplating and sampling hardwood floor stains. I narrowed it down to 2 versions of a similar stain both by Cabot. Tannery which is an ashy gray brown (dark) and Coastal gray (a lighter version but still in a medium ashy tone). I have been dealing with this same family owned paint and wallpaper store for years on various projects. They have been giving me all my samples. I finally decided on Coastal gray and tested the sample on my floor and on sample boards. I returned to the paint store and told them to mx me the Coastal gray. From there I went and met my floor guy to give him the stain. This is my beach house so I am about 2 hours away. He went directly the house and started the job. Saturday I went to check it out and to my horror it was a COMPLETLY DIFFERENT COLOR!!! It was orange! No hint of gray or cool tone at all! I sampled the color on this floor and it was perfect. I even added a poly topcoat to the sample to make sure I was happy with the satin finish. I was mortified, as I have planned my decor based on this color. I can't even live with the orange tone. It is awful.

So I called the paint store and told the owner the problem. I brought all the materials (wood samples, correct sample can, wrong color can). They tested and clearly it was wrong. They think it might have been an old batch and had thinned over time. They are ordering some new neutral base cans to see how it will mix, but have not claimed responsibility yet although it is clear they are responsible for not giving me the color I'd chosen from the sample can they gave me.

What do I do!?! I can not live with this color. All wrong and I can not change my furniture choices. Everything has been ordered and paid for! My DH expects them (paint store) to compensate us the cost of redoing the job. I agree 100% but is this seems like an unlikely outcome. I do not feel good a out it at all. Anyone have any idea what I should expect, ask for, or anything? My mind is at such a loss for words I don't even know how I am typing this. I had to wait 2 days to cool down and get myself to write. They told me they would call me by the end of the day and nothing. They close at 5 and it is now 9. Am I delusional in thinking they will take responsibility for the mixing error or bad stain and compensate me? Is this not a situation for what us businessowners pay such high insurance premiums for?

Comments (35)