SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
musicteacher_gw

This is just too hard (or not hard enough)

musicteacher
9 years ago

Two people here have soapstone I can afford. #1 worries me a lot because they are all schmooz and no substance. They can't seem to get me any references, talk in generalities, etc..
So I went to #2 which has a good reputation, and they kept trying to talk me out of soapstone - didn't think I would be happy with it in the kitchen. Their stone was beautiful, but sure enough, so soft I could scratch it with my fingernail. So we talked about quartz.
Then I went back to #1 to see if they had some references for me ("oh sure All our customers") I asked where it was manufactured: "Oh we have three different places, they can't keep up with us!" But no names. So I told him I was worried about the softness and he assured me that it would be fine - especially after they treat it. Seal it! He said it was a very porous stone and they had to seal it to keep it from staining, "more porous than marble or limestone. But to assure me it wasn't soft he took me out to look at it and showed me marble. "Oh yes it is soapstone, and see you can't scratch it." Marble!!!!! So I just inwardly rolled my eyes and went back over to look at the real soapstone. It didn't scratch with my fingernail - not even with a light pressure on my keys. Now I am wondering it that really was soapstone. And more so, do they know how to manufacture it? I don't know if that guy was just stupid, or thought I was stupid, but I guess I just need to run away from there and give up on my dream of a soapstone kitchen. Now I start all over. I don't have the heart for it.

Comments (9)