SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strgglngstpdad

Bio-mom thinks I am too hard on her daughter

strgglngstpdad
17 years ago

My wife thinks I am too hard on her 10 yr old bio-daughter and I don't treat my 5 yr old bio-son the same. Bear in mind my SD is 10 and is "discovering back-talk" and laying on attitude. This and disrespect towards parents, relatives and adults in general is a very touchy subject with me. Homie don't play that. My wife says I am being rude and disrespectful towards my SD and teaching her this rudeness and disrespect by displaying it. When I sit my SD down and talk to her (I do my best to do it calmly and patiently) I get the faces, sarchasm, blatant ingnoring, the sh**-eating grin - pretty darned close to everything but plugging her ears and singing "la la la" (although I can forecast it in the future). My words go in one ear and out the other. This happens on average every 3-5 days and an ensuing argument between me and my wife comes along. It's very hard not to get angry and not show it. My wife tries to talk to my SD and explain what my SD is doing and why it's not right. In one and out the other generally.

I have been told from my wife my SD said she liked it better when it was just her, my wife and my wifes 8 year old son without me & my son in their lives. Understandable; she's a kid going by her experience and having another kid in the house appears to be competition (fueling attitude). I don't tolerate lip as patiently as my wife does so I am faster to correct it and not let it continue on. My SD blames me for her brother leaving our home and going to live with his bio-dad (SS has been diagnosed with ODD and possibly bi-polar) because I am too hard to get along with. Nevermind the fact that he had started to become violent towards his smaller sister and step-brother; nevermind the fact that her brother was constantly obsessing over going to be with his father to the point of driving the rest of us nuts; it's all being pinned on me. I can understand that the SD is a kid and doesn't see or know all of the details about why we are all at the point we are. My wife says she's tried to explain this to her.

So, I have established that my SD thinks I am evil and trying to take over her mother. When her mother isn't around and a "crisis" develops - she is one of the mouthiest kids I have ever known, blowing up the smallest of issues into mountains. As soon as mom shows up her lips are sealed, portraying the innocent angel, then mom has to come in and sort it out and be peacemaker. I have tried time-outs, taking away priveleges, nothing seems to stick (can't swat on the butt - thats moms rule) so she fears nothing. A consequence means nothing. She told my wife that no matter what she does she's in trouble with me; so she (SD) doesn't care what the punishment is. "It's just too much" my SD told my wife. I dunno what that means.

I have the feeling my SD is trying get my wife and I to fight and split up so she can have it the way it was without me & my son in the picture. My wife doesn't see that as a possibility. All she see's is her daughter is unhappy because I am there. Apparantly I am an ogre.

My wife doesn't think I am the same in discipline with my son as with my SD. I have tried to explain to her that when my son acts up and does what she does he will get the same from me. He doesn't do what she does to the degree she does it.I also told her (wife) I expect more out of a 10 year old than I do a 6 year old. That apparantly doesn't fly with her cause it's not treating the kids equally.

I have tried and tried. I took an anger management course; I consciously prep myself before saying or doing anything around my SD for fear of a blow-up. I do my best not to show anger and disrespect towards my SD. I know as the SD I am a door-mat and will never be the dad she wants. I do go to her school functions and help with school projects and homework; I did coach her soccer team; I try to include her in the things my son and I do. To me it seems (like others) I am there as a conveinience for her. Useful when she wants something otherwise it's po*op on SD. My wife doesn't agree 90% of the time in the way I handle things like this, saying I should have done things this-or-that way (HER way). A fact of life I guess I just have to learn to live with. Any advice? I know I can't be the only one in this position.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations