SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Kraftmaid Cabinet Pricing Has to be a Crock of S--T

Laurie
13 years ago

So, I get a flyer from my local kitchen design store, a place I've used before touting a 70% of sale on Kraftmaid cabinets. I was going to already use them anyway so I went over today to firm up my design and place my order.

I asked for 3 different quotes; 3 different cabinets styles. The highest came out to $16500, the lowest at $14500.

This means the full price was something like $47,000 for the lower end ones? WTF? I've seen people here say their custom cabinets done by local carpenters were less money than that.

How on earth could that possibly be? My kitchen is only 16' x 12', not even loaded up with bells and whistles. Only 2 glass doors, no fancy molding or end panels. Very basic shaker type doors, no high end staining. I didn't even add in pulls or rails for the under cabinet lighting yet.

Frankly, I just don't believe it. There is no way semi-custom cabinets could be nearly $50,000 for such a small kitchen.

I can not afford this. I nearly fainted when I saw the prices. He mentioned he sells a less expensive brand called Fabuwood, which is manufactured similarly to Kraftmaid, however, is from China, therefore 40% less expensive. The catch is less door styles and less colors. Thankfully they have a Shaker style and while the Shaker only comes in 3 colors I can live with one of them. About $9000 sure would be a lot closer to what I can afford right now being as all of my costs have come in so far like 50% more than expected (more than kitchen rehab going on).

Has anyone else ran into this kind of crazy pricing? I feel like it's sort of a bait and switch going on here. Or is this common with other cabinet makers as well?

Or, have prices escalated that dramatically since the last time I ordered cabinets 10 year ago?

Ugh!

Comments (15)