SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovlilynne

Funny Waterlox Story

lovlilynne
14 years ago

So I looked on the WL site for nearby stores that carry the WL products so I could get some for my BB counter top. Good thing I called a few - one OOB, one discontinued carrying, 3rd one says they carry it.

Off I go after work to "County Supply" - the places that carry this stuff are the small town hardware stores. Turns out this is a glorified True Value. I ask where the WL is, and get directed to the paint department. The gentleman asks me what I'm using it for, so I tell him. Well, he (and a woman who also came over to help) immediately say that they recommend mineral oil.

Well, yes, I say that's one option, but I have heard that the WL works very well at repelling water and stains, etc. Next they are all concerned about using it on a food surface. (Now another guy comes over - think Don Knots with a bad comb over.) I tell them that I don't plan to use the surface for food preparation. "Well, you can do it if you want, but we cannot recommend it for that application." "How do you know that you'll never put food on it?" I explain that I didn't say I wouldn't put food on it, but that I wouldn't *prep* food on it. I honestly thought he was going to wrestle the can from my hands!

I started asking about the best applicator, but they wanted to go back to whether this was the right finish. The other guy showed me the can of something specifically for BB. Don said maybe I should check the WL website before I used it that way - make sure that they recommended it.

I politely told them that I "knew" many people who had used it just for this purpose, and it was fine. I got my brush, paid, and left - hopefully never to return!

I have to say - I have had the worst experiences with service during this project whenever I've stepped foot into a store. I bought almost everything on-line, and this is why. (Not to say that this was such bad service, I know they were trying to help. But, I wonder if WL knows that the stores are trying to talk customers out of buying their product!)

Lynne

Comments (17)