SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dermnp_gw

What were/are your expectations from your GC?

dermnp
10 years ago

Just wondering if my DH and I are being unreasonable. This is are first kitchen and has been a huge learning experience. Our KD was/is to be the GC for our kitchen remodel. It started off bad, really bad. To save money, DH planned on ripping out the old kitchen and patching up all the walls and scrape the popcorn off ceiling and get it all ready for install. The GC never called the plumber or electrician, so the kitchen was out and he decided to start calling them and his electrician was out of the country for two weeks, so the process to find another took another week or so and thankfully we had rain so the electrician's other job was postponed, that was the only reason we got him. GC told my DH, should be able to patch it all up in a few days. Well by the time the electrician was done, 80% of the walls were gone and 1/2 of the ceiling, so took my DH 5 days to get it all dry walled to painted, looks really good. Anyway, the GC has only been out here twice since the cabinet installation started, once was for the granite template and the second was when I requested he come because the panel next to frig was to be cut and the decorative trim was then going to be hidden behind the trim.....ughhh I wanted to scream. The carpenter is asking me how far back to cut it, I don't freakin know, ask the KD. The carpenter asked me yesterday, so who is installing the appliances, again please ask our GC, I don't know. I am ordering tile, so I text my KD to check how much to order, he doesn't know and tells me how to measure for it. I don't know, isn't that the KD/GCs job? I am so frustrated, we are paying this guy to be our GC, are they supposed to be onsite? How often do you expect them to be? Am I expecting too much? We already complained to the owner, had him out here to see how long the project is taking due to his incompetent GC and lack of planning, he doesn't seem to be getting involved as much as I would have expected. Granite to come in on friday, so I called the tile guy to make sure he has us on his schedule, he didn't know who I was and knew nothing about the tile installation for our kitchen. Is it me??

Comments (7)