SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreak100_gw

How much detail was in your contract with your GC?

andreak100
11 years ago

Did you have a preliminary drawing attached with your contract? The GC that we are planning on using put some vague details in regarding the cabinetry, but no actual proposed layout - to start, we give him $1,000. He works with an Amish cabinet maker and he said that just before they are ready to start making our cabinets, the GC will come in and make final measurements.

We did go to see the cabinet maker and I went over many details of what we wanted and I had my proposed layout, but we did make some additional suggestions/adjustments etc. while I was there...and being as he is Amish, I couldn't ask him to make a photocopy of the changes he jotted down on his copy. And now, I can't remember exactly what all we talked about (most of it stayed the same, but not all), so details like the number of roll-outs, etc. aren't included in the contract.

The GC seems like a good guy, and I do trust in the decency of the Amish community as a whole, so I tend to trust in the cabinet maker as well. But, I come from a paralegal background and I'm used to everything being spelled out very clearly.

Am I fretting over nothing or should there be at least a preliminary drawing with a "subject to GC measurements, etc." clause in the agreement?

Comments (11)