SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quincin

Suggestions for flooring transition between open rooms

quincin
13 years ago

Hi! I've recently found this forum and am amazed at the wealth of information and support!

We are fairly well along in our design phase of our kitchen, but we've recently made one change that is throwing off our original flooring plans.

We were originally going to keep an existing doorway between K & FR, have tile floors in K and HW floors in FR. At the end of the K, there was a banquette flanked by 2 bookcase-topped cabinets. The transition would have been easy - end the tile at the doorway.

We decided to open up that doorway and buried the header, leaving a smallish wall (8-10"...not done yet) wall on the FP end for light switches, etc. Now we have decided to put a built-in hutch between the window in the K and the slider in the FR (link below has basic layout drawing illustrating what I mean...)

Now, I can't come up with a good design for putting tile in the K and HW in the FR. If I run the tile into the FR, it breaks up the room in that direction....if I run the wood floor into the kitchen around the banquette area, it "shortens" the kitchen area and chops it up.

I'm not opposed to putting HW in the kitchen...have some durability concerns with kids, pets, water, etc., but I can live with it.

I just want to make sure that I've exhausted all of my ideas before committing to that change :)

Does anyone have any input?

(Additionally, anyone know how to embed images in your post? I'm not seeing an 'upload image' link as it says in the help file...)

Here is a link that might be useful: basic layout

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz