SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Flooring conundrum! (with pics)

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

Would you all mind advising me on yet another material choice?

As some of you know, wrapped into our kitchen reno was the rebuilding of the adjacent LR/DR area. As you can see in the photos below, the kitchen opens directly into that space, although the LR/DR is two steps down.

The rest of the house has 50's red oak that was refinished ~2 years ago. We had to patch in new unfinished oak in the pantry area we created. (Excuse the horrendous mid-reno mess, PLEASE!)

We need to choose flooring for the adjacent LR/DR. Here's the thing: we may be selling the house in 2-3 years, so we want to be sure we make choices that have fairly broad appeal (in a pretty high-end market.) So..... the safest thing to do is to simply put in the exact same unfinished oak hardwood, and finish it when we do the pantry. That way the flooring will be consistent throughout (except for the tile areas). BUT my DH is doing the install, and he's not looking forward to doing that much square footage (the nailer is a b@#*ch to use, he says!) and is advocating for pre-finished hardwood instead.

So, one choice is prefinished red oak, with a "micro-bevel":

Pros- Easy to install

Cons- Cost = $1200

It may not look exactly the same as the rest because there will be a tiny bevel between the boards, not flush like actual unfinished hardwood plank.

Second choice- this cool product that my husband's ex-boss makes. It is actually strips of red oak, made into an engineered flooring product that is very popular in Europe. It's got a VERY thick layer of oak, so is completely re-finishable. It is the same wood as the original floors. It will look great with our modern furniture. BUT---- is it just too modern and out there for the average buyer? Main thing is: it is FREE.

Red Oak Strip

Pros- Same wood species

Did I mention it's FREE?!?!?!!!!!!!

Cons- Is it weird to have a different wood floor there?

is it too modern?

here are some pics:

There will be wide oak treads on the two steps between the adjoining rooms, so they would not be actually abutting each other.

What do you guys think??

with flash

without flash

kitchen

LR (bricks will be all slate behind woodstove)

from kitchen area down to LR/DR

Comments (11)