SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naan_gw

tile backsplash-can it change widths around room?

14 years ago

Hi,

I'm edging toward final decisions. We're DIYers and I think of myself as a new one-time-only kitchen designer (and as such, I'm prone to mistakes, but trying not to make any big ones).

So... Our kitchen sink is not centered under our kitchen window. 3 ft. wide window and the left half of its double bowl is under the center. Look, it's OK with us. Let's move on to the issue of backsplash.

There are two narrow upper cabinets next to the two sides of the window and the left one abutts a corner cabinet (upper). Along the next side is the stove.

Can I build a tile backsplash up to the bottom of the upper cabinets near the sink and around to stove backsplash, then on the other side of the stove, drop the height of the tile backsplash to a lower height?

Oh, when I write it, it sounds awful. I don't know what to do. I don't want the water splashing up behind the sink, but I was planning to have just a 4-6" backsplash, and leave some painted wall showing. I like seeing painted wall, and I don't (sorry, I know it's popular) love the tile that goes up to the base of the cabinets. To me, that makes the room look chopped up. I have a sign. amount of paint to show above my cabinets, around two windows, etc. and I love my paint color.

Plus I can barely afford any tile, so it's not "Show time" with tile, it's a luxury.

I could just go with laminate backsplash, but, um, I think that looks a little dull, and besides my walls are a bit bumpy because I did the mudding and taping myself.

OK, that's enough to solicit comments, I hope.

Green walls (nice sage-y green), natural cherry cabs, natural cherry flooring (lighter), and probably NOT the oiled soapstone counters, but instead a lighter colored "frosted glass" by Wilsonart.

Thanks, all. Any help. If you need pics tell me and I'll try to oblige.

Naan

Comments (6)