SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
formerlyflorantha

Need bookshelf design for wall en route to dining room

formerlyflorantha
13 years ago

We're going to need a custom-made cupboard or shelf unit to ride to the left of our new door which communicates between the kitchen and dining room. The door and the shelf unit will be in the same plane, not perpendicular. It will be just shy of 6 feet side to side and can extend to the 8 foot ceiling if it wants to. Depth: 15 inches, including back. Okay for the moldings to extend farther forward. Light oak.

What's the largest span that a bookshelf can extend across before it begins to bow under the weight of books?

The unit will hold cookbooks and another collection of reference books and will also serve for some display. (Am considering having sliding doors with tempered glass fronts in the lower area, for china storage but am not sure as to how important that will be until I find out how much our new kitchen cupboards can hold.) I'm not sure how to handle display space--would like to give it a modern flair by having some defined display openings within the book area, but don't want them to be hard to see into. Cupboard will mostly be seen from the side as people enter the dining room.

The display items are antiques, many of them silverplate, which means they tarnish. In the best of all possible worlds, they would go behind glass also. We had to get rid of a humongo display unit, which was on the other side of the wall because it could only fit in the space if there was no door. So it goes.

Any words of wisdom or images of good-looking bookshelves? Have looked at a number of kitchen bookshelves on the FKB, but except for elizpiz, the ones I've seen so far are nowhere near the size of this puppy.

Comments (17)