SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baffholder

No eat in kitchen or dining room - where to eat?!

baffholder
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi! I'm moving into a 930 sq. ft. home soon.

They remodeled the tiny squarish kitchen to have cabinets on both sides, where one wall was once the space for a small table. So it is kind of galley style. There are no usable corners. The open wall has the refrigerator in a nook in the middle and drawers that open to the right of that (probably about 2 feet between when the drawer is closed). To the left is the basement door.

Right now, they have a small drop leaf dining table in the living room with a bench that stores beneath. This seems like an acceptable solution if I can't come up with something else. But I was hoping to find an affordable alternative. Some ideas:

1) Portable kitchen island/cart - prefer the kind with drawers and a drop leaf. Seeming like the best solution. However, where would we keep the chairs in a way that isn't clunky? We'll need seating for four. And I'm not sure how it would feel to have no leg room or would that not matter with the drop leaf?

2) A fold down table that looks disguised when folded up - think Murphy bed. Again, where do I put the chairs?

3) Some kind of convertible furniture. I saw several really creative designs where a table pulls out of a bookshelf and chairs are part of the design too, but these are all super duper expensive.

4) Something else?

Due to closets, doors, and windows, there are no "nooks," unused corners, or usable spaces short of not having a couch in our living room.

We are on a budget so we can't afford all the amazing tiny home solutions with the big price tags. I was wondering how much it might cost to have a carpenter make the Murphy bed table. But again, chairs?!
Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Comments (16)