SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sombreuil_mongrel_gw

Latest Kitchen Project: Somebody Else's Cabinet

sombreuil_mongrel
15 years ago

Hi Gang,

I work, as some of you know, as a carpenter. Rarely, I get the opportunity to build something really cool, because , honestly, few customers have the will and the wallet to commission something of a very high caliber.

My current clients are the rarity, and I am happy to present this built-in wall cabinet:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1557342}}

The company I work for has been renovating their kitchen. It is getting near the end of the long, arduous job. The soapstone comes at the end of the week! They got the balance of the cabinets (protected under drop-cloths) from Crown Pointe.

The glass in the doors was from an original built-in in their 1895 home. They wanted this cabinet to be cherry, but I talked them into Mahogany. I'm really grateful that they bore with me through the long process of building it. It kind of took longer than I estimated. But it turned out way more impressive than I had imagined.

There's still a piece of trim missing along the bottom- it's still on my workbench; it gets a small hand-carved detail. The varnishing isn't quite done, either, but since I got the doors hung last nite and the glass panels fitted this morning, I couldn't wait to get it posted in public. For reference, it's over 6' tall, a bit over 5' wide. Each door is 18x48.

Casey

Comments (21)