SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nesting12

buying from a showroom: new wisdom

14 years ago

I just had a good experience I wanted to quickly share because I learned things that would have saved me many hours of aggravation.

I thought that the way to save money on a faucet was to go to a showroom, decline help (out of guilt) and then sneek home to look for the faucets I liked on line for hours trying to figure out what to do. Then, I would go back to the showroom to check out new faucets I had discovered, all the while having very little clue what I was doing. But I thought if I asked at the showroom I would be using their time with no intention of buying from them, and I didn't want to do that.

Finally today I realized I needed help, so I talked with a guy at a showroom in a town where I don't even live full-time--( I'm just here for a bit of the summer while the renovation happens). I had a bazillion questions for him and forgot to check myself because he was extremely helpful. Turns out a guy who sells faucets for a living knows more than I do, go figure.

Ok, nothing too new here, but what happened next was: he gave me (very high) prices for the faucets I ended up picking. I timidly asked if they matched prices. He and I went to his computer and... did what I would have done after I left, and found the cheapest on-line price from an authorized dealer. He beat that price significantly and voila.

So now I have a great faucet (a nice KWC pull out-- some of you have the same one-- it is tres nice) on the way to my house, and a contact in case things go wrong, and a warranty, and the cheapest price (with a warranty, at least). He also knows that KWC is especially good with their warranties and can help me if I have trouble (which I don't think I will, because they sell everything and he said KWC has especially good warranties and customer service-- impressive to me because I've had great experience with the other companies he sells, e.g., Grohe). Oh, he also talked me out of Dornbracht, because their warranty is only 5 years (wtf?), something I never picked up on in my hours of searching.

I had no idea that showrooms did this. He searched the web for me... How nice of them! How smart!

PS You can get cheaper price by skulking around the showroom and then running home and buying from some guy on Ebay with no warranty, but these lifetime warranties, if the company is good, are priceless-- I have had great luck with warranties like this in the past and would be willing to pay for one for sure-- in addition to comfort of having the person I can call if the faucet doesn't fit or something. And in the end I just got tired of trying to figure out everything about faucets by myself!

Hope this helps others-- I wish I had just gone to this guy weeks ago.

Happy hunting!

Comments (7)