SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elunday

Would love advice/wisdom on my kitchen floorplan

elunday
9 years ago

Hello! I'm a new poster here, but I've been reading this forum obsessively for weeks as we've started planning a major remodel. There's a wealth of wisdom here, and I love to tap into it.

We're working on the layout of the kitchen, which will involve moving one wall about 8 feet out and another about 17 feet to include laundry room space and a family room.

I've attached the new floorplan for you to see.

I'm trying to keep the existing cabinets on one wall of my current kitchen--those are the cabinets that run down the middle of the house, ending with the refrigerator. On the other side of those cabinets will be an old built-in glass front cabinet from our butler's pantry. The pantry is being sacrificed for closet space, but the cabinet will be saved.

The main working space of the kitchen will be a galley (sorta) with one row of cabinets with the stove backing up to a wall and another row of cabinets with the sink facing the stove and looking out to the new family room.

I want to put a butcher-block top kitchen cart between these two blocks of cabinets against the far wall.

We got to this design for several reasons:
1) I thought of having the range where the sink is, but I found the look of island range hoods overwhelming. I'd rather have pretty pendant lights there.
2) I don't like corner cabinets. All the lazy susans and pull-out shelves improve their use, but they're still awkward, IMO.
3) I want to reuse our old cabinets as much as possible, so I'm moving them to the row with the sink. Some of the sizes are weird (15 1/2 inches? Really?) but they'll work. We'll need a few for fill-in and then the cabinets around the stove.

Here are my questions and concerns:

* Is this flow going to work OK? I usually cook alone.

* What's the best width between the two rows of cabinets? I've got it 6'6" now, mostly to allow for the kitchen cart (of which I am quite enamored but not irrationally so.) Is that too wide? If I narrow the space, that gives me more family room to work with, but I don't want to be bumping into the open dishwasher door while cooking.

My plan to put all of the cooking/prep dishes near the stove and plates just above the sink in a glass front cabinet we're saving, and glassware over by the refrigerator. More steps when unloading dishes, but easy for guests to get themselves a drink.

So! Any thoughts? Questions? Critiques?

Comments (16)