SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayjay_teacher

95% Finished Off White Kitchen--Kind of Long

jayjay_teacher
15 years ago

First, I want to begin by thanking all of you who have been such a big help and inspiration for me. I learned so many things from the people here on the forum and you have helped in many more ways than you can imagine. We planned for about 3 years before we were able to start. I am so glad that I found GW at the beginning of my planning. Youngest son finished his MBA in December and we started in January.

We are about 95% through with our complete kitchen remodel. We need to do paint touch ups, decide on a backsplash (HELP PLEASE!), and decide on curtains. We gutted our old kitchen and dining area, rewired a major portion of the room, added all new plumbing, and a new floor. Our house was built in 1965 and had the original cabinets, avocado green stove, and paneling that had been painted. Our refrigerator was the one we got when we married 33 years ago. It was time for a change.

We went back and forth for a long time on the layout. It is working really well for us. I think that I got a lot out of the space that I have. The prep sink will be used more for my husbands watering/gardening sink than for food prep. He can come right in the back door and stop at that sink and then he doesnÂt have flowers in my sink. I desperately needed storage and I have a lot more than ever before. In fact, I have some empty cabs, but I know they will fill in the future.

Like many others I changed my mind on the cabinets. I did not want glaze, but then I decided to add that. I teach school and also have a business and I thought that the glaze might help hide dust, paint chips, and cracksÂdonÂt have much time to clean. I really like the glaze and shudder to think how many chips we probably would have had by the time all of the workers finished. I wanted the island to be quartersawn oak in a brown, not golden color, and to look more like a piece of furniture to match my antique pieces. She did a good job in meeting my requirements and we are really enjoying using it.

I am in rural west Tennessee and had an excellent local cabinet maker (she also travels). When I would mention some of the things I wanted, she always knew what I was talking about and had ideas of her own. One of her ideas is the hinges on the end of the frig panel. She also designed the hood mantel with the spice pull outs. The electrician and plumber were a different story. They had never heard of some of the things I wanted. Examples, plug mold, air switch, dishdrawers, ShawÂs original sink (never convinced him it was not cast iron). My one disappointment was that I wanted the large window over the prep sink to come all the way to the counter. However, no one will ever know that but me.

Again, I cannot thank you all enough for your help and inspiration. Many, many of you helped without even knowingÂand Gibby, the ironing board is working out great. Our kitchen would not have turned out as good without you all. Sorry if this is too long.

There are more pictures in my album that show the details.

Jan

Details:

CabinetsÂperimeter-white with taupe glaze, local NW Tennessee cabinet maker; islandÂquartersawn oak with brown stain

HardwareÂORB, furnished with the cabinets

CountersÂperimeter Silestone Ebony Pearl, island Silestone Sienna Ridge

StoveÂGE Café Dual Fuel ss

RefrigeratorÂGE Profile water in door ss

DishdrawersÂFisher Paykel (Love them) paneled

CompactorÂKitchen Aid paneled

Garbage disposalÂInsinkerator Evolution Compact w airswitch (Love it. I also had to feel to see if it was on!), Lowes

Hot water dispenserÂInsinkerator View, ebay

Main sinkÂShawÂs Original 3018 (Love it), Ira Woods

Prep SinkÂRohl Allia

FaucetsÂKohler Vinnata full size and secondary size (Love them)

Pull out ironing boardÂHafele (Thanks Gibby for the idea. We use it nearly every day!)

FlooringÂWitex Victorian Cherry laminate (matches what we had everywhere but the den.)

Plug moldÂLowes

Under cab lightsÂXenon strips Lowes

Pendant lightÂebay

Light over table was the one I had.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville