SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dainaadele

95% finished kitchen reveal - 1923 home

7 years ago

As usual, there is the niggling list of things that still needs to be done, but at least it is far enough along that it is photo worthy. We have been in this house 15 years, and I originally thought the kitchen would get done around year 5. - - Hah! But the good news is that we are much more financially stable than we were back then.... :D :D :D

At best guess our kitchen was last redone around 1950. As we ripped out 65 year old cabinets, my goal was that this new version withstand another 65 years. (As any old home lover would agree.) We sank out money in the rebuild from studs, removing an arch that added nothing to the craftsman home and the perfectly made custom cabinets. Everything else was budget minded. We put in laminate counters and old-fashioned VCT tiles, that ultimately just adds to the period look.

- - No one will ever believe this kitchen was original, but hopefully it graciously bows a head to the original home.

- - And yes, I cam a crazy cat lady with 2 black beauties currently in residence, so all my friends love to give me cat presents when they can't think of anything else. ;-P Makes for a good kitchen theme for my personality.

First, a look at where we were prior to the knockdown...

I wanted to love that arch, but that and the closet made so much of our kitchen unusable. Opened up, it was a 10x18 'box' that has so much more possibilities.

Here was my self standing fridge and stove...

And now the afters. These were shot on a day that we were getting pics for the builder's web site, so they vary in stages of clutter. But below is the full lived in version:

Yes, that is a 18 foot counter with 3 separate areas. Each 4, 5, and 3ft. Drinks, food prep, and baking. And yes a range in front of the window. with an old-fashioned wall fan. This is Nebraska, not California! There are some advantages!!!!!!! I love being able to look out while cooking.

Next is the picture from the other end looking back towards the doorway. (de-cluttered) Normally this is where the toaster, and phone charging equipment live. The lights above show really bright in the photos, but they really are a nice dimmable LED.

With a kitchen too narrow for a island, and too wide for a galley, I found the perfect balance using 30" counters. When both sides are pulled out, there is 5 inches between them. :D

I hope the next owners love them as I do.

While we spent a fortune on the cabinets, and they have given back enormously. I am hardly using any of the storage at the top. Also, the cabinets are so deep, that I find I am okay with leaving things accessible on the counter. I normally the type of person that fills the walls and keeps the flat areas open. - Not always practical in a house with 2 teen boys and a husband. By not having any corner cabs, I did not have to deal with any decisions as to corner storage and gained the drink station. Next to that area is about 6 feet of wall will serve as a parking spot for the rolling trashcan and a huge bulletin board in place of a cluttered fridge.

Comments (27)