SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Crazed tile backsplash too fakey or cutesy for old house kitchen?

julieste
10 years ago

I like crazed subway tile, but now I am wondering if it is perhaps inappropriate for use in my kitchen. I live in a 100 year old house (a mix between Prairie style and Craftsman feel). My kitchen has 1920s to 1930s original birch cabinetry along with custom replication cabinets to match these flat panel, recessed originals. Counters are soapstone and marble, and floors are maple. My kitchen definitely has the period feel I am striving for to go with my house, but it is not a reproduction of an early twentieth century kitchen. Rather it is an early twentieth century feel kitchen updated to reflect today's kitchen needs.

I think crazed tiles are intended to add kind of an antique look in their application--perhaps a contrast to the more current things. But, I wonder if using these would be too much in a situation like mine where I already have cabinets and light fixtures and counters that are period appropriate. Plus, I know the reality is that original subway tiles from 100 years ago would by now perhaps have a bit of crazing but not nearly the overall heavily cracked look that today's purposely crazed tiles have. Would I just be better off with a simple, plain (most likely off white) subway tile? I appreciate opinions. Thanks.

Comments (24)