SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Are we moving away from tiled backsplashes?

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

I was in Barnes & Noble last night, perusing the magazine section. I picked up a European magazine, I think it was Beautiful Kitchens (not the US Version) and I was thumbing through it. I'm still not settled on my back splash yet, so I find myself looking for ideas anywhere I can.

I noticed that only about 2 of the kitchens in the magazine had tiled back splashes. And no, these weren't French Country kitchens with plaster, etc....but rather contemporay kitchens. (I don't mean super sleek modern, either) They were using painted glass either just behind the cooking area, or all over the kitchen between the counters and the upper cabinets.

It really struck me to see lack of tile. Although they did show some with clear glass or painted white glass slabs, but. some were hot pink, I saw purple too.

What do you think? Do you think we are getting away from all the tile? When did the tile craze for all over the kitchen start? Growing up we didn't have anything back there. The very first kitchen I ever did (1991) had formica on the counters that continued up the backsplash (btw, I had pot drawers in THAT kitchen) and we never even thought about tile back there.

I'm just curious what you think. I'm wondering if a smokey gray back painted glass panel is what I should be thinking about in my kitchen...

Bee

Comments (20)